Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil pressure warning light and the coolant light (Under the gauges) like to come on at weird times. The oil pressure light comes on after I start the car and it has run for a few seconds and the overheat light comes on whenever it wants to. I have good pressure (oil) and the temp gauge is working fine.
I remember that the Milano had a fix for the warning lamps that involved adding a resistor to the control unit( or something like that). I have not really studied the diagrams but will if no one has a quick fix. I have tested and replaced the pressure switch on the head. It works perfect with the ol' test lite hooked to 12v trick. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Do you mean the coolant level light? If so your float in the coolant tank may be gunked up and stuck in the down pos or the sender itself has gone bad. Clean float and see if it moves freely. If not you may need to buy a sender unit they are like $35 at Di Fatta. The oil pressure light if I recall fails too and I don't think they are available. I grounded mine out to eliminate the light. My pressure is fine and oil pressure gauge works but the orange light would give me the creeps, hence the ground out.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not the coolant level light. It's the red warning lamps that are under the needles at the gauges. I replaced the sender on the head with one I had laying around from a Milano. It is the later fine thread sender. If I ground it out it stays on.

I guess I'll just pull the bulbs.

Paul

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
There is a known fault in the 91 164 wiring harness that causes the coolant warning light fault. The original harness was too short and the connector doesn't make proper contact. I believe that there are two senders in the same location, one sends the signal for the gauge and the other triggers the warning light.

Dunno about the oil pressure light but I do know it is not related to the gauge. If your gauge is working and shows pressure then there is a fault in the sender at the oil filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts