Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have some intermittent gauge issues which I'm hoping to address today by cleaning all of the contacts, etc. What besides removing the 2 side screws is required to pull the guage cluster far enough forward to access the connectors? I have the screws out but it still seems pretty firmly held in place and I'm reluctant to force it with being certain there are no other fasteners.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a great help - thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
13,671 Posts
I think that you will also have to remove the nut that holds the trip odometer reset knob to the underside of the dash.
Be careful with the instrument housing as the two tabs for the mounting screws break easily.
Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC
74 GTV
79 Spider
88 Verde

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alfaparticle said:
I think that you will also have to remove the nut that holds the trip odometer reset knob to the underside of the dash.
Be careful with the instrument housing as the two tabs for the mounting screws break easily.
Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC
74 GTV
79 Spider
88 Verde
Thanks, I'll be sure to check the odometer nut, and take care with the tabs.

I've just gone out to do a quick check and can get my hand up to the speedo cable, but haven't yet found a path for the tach cable. Do I need to remove anything to get my hand in there, and, I can't really tell from cor's picture, do the cable just push in place or do they have threaded collars?

Thanks again,
Bill

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I've also found you can pull the cluster out enough to have room to work if you push the tach and speedo cable in from the engine compartment to make more slack.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The cables are normally the main problem. Not really a job for big hands...:( And indeed, they have threaded collars, when you unscrew them (from the instrument cluster), you've more 'workingspace'

A few more specs:

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I can get my hand (just barely) to both cables. Not room to work, I'll try pushing in the cables from the firewall. The speedo cable seems to have a wire tag securing it to the cluster. Am I right in assuming that'll have to be cut?

Sorry for all the quetions, just don't want to screw up,
Bill

·
Registered
368 Posts
A wire tag?? Sorry, my technical English is not that good. Perhaps you mean that little peace out of the cable?? (left side on the pic below) If so,
don't cut it, it's the cable! You only must unscrew them (the collars are allways free from the cables), before you can take out the cables.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cor said:
A wire tag?? Sorry, my technical English is not that good. Perhaps you mean that little peace out of the cable?? (left side on the pic below) If so,
don't cut it, it's the cable! You only must unscrew them (the collars are allways free from the cables), before you can take out the cables.
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I managed to take a picture of what I mean, and it answers my question. It must be a security tag to prove that the odometer hasn't been tampered with. I've never seen that before, but it'll definitely have to be cut if I want to unscrew the collar.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
It looks like the security tag wires go through the bolt heads but NOT the cable collar. Why not bend it down a bit and unscrew the collar? With an instrument cluster as nice as that I think I'd leave it in place if I could.

Fred Widmer

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fredwidmer said:
It looks like the security tag wires go through the bolt heads but NOT the cable collar. Why not bend it down a bit and unscrew the collar? With an instrument cluster as nice as that I think I'd leave it in place if I could.

Fred Widmer
It's a little hard to see but the vertical wire in the front actually passes into and through a hole at the top of the collar and out the back. Yes, it's a lot cleaner in there than I expected and am very loathe to cut the wire. My problem is that my fuel guage bounces around and my temp guage moves very little (just hovers between 130 and 150 and rest at 140 with the ignition off), and the speedometer bulb seems to be burned out. Worst of all, I took the car out and got it inspected saturday (first time since 1998) and just as I was headed home after driving around town a bit the speedometer went to 0 and stayed there, so I don't know how much choice I have.

Bill

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It appears the gauges cluster wasn't as well engineered/designed as the engine. If only the engineers had spent more time on this stuff!

My fuel gauge bounces all over the place too. From what I know, it's a pretty common fault. Others may be able to shed more light, but I think the fuel gauges were like this from new?

My tacho also sticks occassionally, which requires a few taps to get it working, plus the dashlight on the tacho side of the cluster also only works when it's in the mood.

My trip meter seems to completely have a mind of it's own. Sometimes it works...for a while...but mostly it's just haywire! As the right hand numbers rotate, they catch the ones next to them, so I do a mile for every 100 yards! Then sometimes the centre one catches as well, and I can do 50 miles just running to the local store! Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Damo:

A large problem with the gauges of any classic are that needle movements are not well damped like in moderns - i.e one movement in one direction will cause a bouncing effect rather than having the movement "damped" - kinda like a car without dampers would be bouncing up and down like crazy. But yeah, both my fuel and OP do that, my fuel status is excellent downhill and going left, not so good going right and uphill :D

Just be thankful we don't have Veglia's - the handful of cars i've seen with them were quite flappy :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Check the grounding of your fuel sender.

If things are correct the tank will be mounted in rubber and thus does not make a good ground with the body. Some of the weird behaviour of fuel gauges can be eliminated by proper grounding.

Of course - not all of it (due to the damping indeed).

Your tacho sticking is probably due to dust and dried up lubricant in the instrument. This is hardly surprising after 30+ years and the way to fix it is to clean it and oil it again. This is probably not a job for the faint of heart due to the delicacy of the instruments and if you over-lubricate, the sticking might just get worse.

The trip meter? That is probably just worn or the mechanism has been damaged by either moisture, heat or a knock. Live with it or replace it.

The instruments are generally quite nice but nothing lasts for ever and compared with cars of similar vintage I know which ones I prefer.

YMMV (a lot)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread here instead of starting a new one. I am removing the instrument cluster on my 74 GTV for service, and everything is disconnected except for one small cable on the speedometer side. The main speedo cable is loose, but there is a smaller cable below that has no obvious way of removal. It is the smaller cable shown on the photo below. Any suggestions as to how to separate it from the cluster?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,177 Posts
The silver one? That's just the odometer reset. It's only about 6" long and you don't need to detach it from the cluster to remove the cluster.

On my car it just hangs down loosely, but on some cars I think there may be a nut on the other end holding it to the dash.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts