Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What lights should turn on when the ignition switch is turn to ON. I get four lights initially, TEMP, Brake, OIL and BATTERY. The TEMP and BRAKE go off after a 10 or so seconds. The OIL and BATTERY lights go off once the vehicle is started.

My Spider failed inspection because the parking brake indicator light does not come on when the brake is set. I have checked the switch at the handbrake and it is functional. I hate to remove the dash (again!!) and wondered if any other lights should be coming on as a "check light" function before I tear into it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
What lights should turn on when the ignition switch is turn to ON. I get four lights initially, TEMP, Brake, OIL and BATTERY. The TEMP and BRAKE go off after a 10 or so seconds. The OIL and BATTERY lights go off once the vehicle is started.
sounds correct......that is what my S4 does!

My Spider failed inspection because the parking brake indicator light does not come on when the brake is set. I have checked the switch at the handbrake and it is functional. I hate to remove the dash (again!!) and wondered if any other lights should be coming on as a "check light" function before I tear into it.
sounds like the park brake warning bulb might be out? or a wire leading up to the Monopod?
Jim's great drawings of the 2 types of Monopod might help you trace a fault.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/4670945-post821.html

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Have long had and appreciate those electrical diagrams. I'm not sure when they changed it but the '89 has a single knee bolster which requires the entire center stack to come out first before it can be removed. The manual talks about the knee bolster being two pieces.

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
oh yes, I heard that one piece US type bolster was a pain.

I can get the cluster out in about 20 minutes with my euro style bolster.
The only reason to touch the bolster is to get the 2 forward screws holding on the clamshell around the steering column....once the clamshell is off the cluster itself is fairly easy.

could you just wire a separate red light for the park brake somewhere temporarily to keep the inspector happy and get by the test?:)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,505 Posts
No need to remove the bolster to get the cluster out. Just pop off the trim ring surrounding the cluster. Then there are four screws and you can wedge out the instruments or just pull them forwards enough to change the bulb. I've done it a bunch of times and it's not too bad...just be careful not to break or scratch the clear plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts