Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new Spider owner I need some advice on installing the tonneau cover once the top is down. there are two "attachment points" one metal and the other plastic. the plastic ones are broken, so I am not sure what purpose they serve as it looks like the metal (chrome) ones hold the top. I can't get the cover to attach with the bracket mounted to the leather top. Is there a secret to getting the top to stretch? what do the plastic pieces do?

any video's or help is appreciated. also, where can I purchase the new plastic discs that are broken.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
should be some help here in this thread:
Top Boot Installation w/plastic clips 87 Spider

I don't think anyone sells those plastic discs...they serve no real purpose other than act as a spacer for those screws which are long and won't screw all the way down!
It is the chrome "turret" things that hold the top boot. So, I'd just remove them and insert a shorter screw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should be some help here in this thread:
Top Boot Installation w/plastic clips 87 Spider

I don't think anyone sells those plastic discs...they serve no real purpose other than act as a spacer for those screws which are long and won't screw all the way down!
It is the chrome "turret" things that hold the top boot. So, I'd just remove them and insert a shorter screw.
thanks for the info. any guidance on getting the tonneau cover to fit?

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
they can be a pita to fit sometimes.
If it is warm outside, or sunny, that certainly helps!
if you lay out in the sun for half hour or so it becomes more supple.

I can just get mine on if I use all my strength
I first put one side on (clip the back corner into that little chrome turret and the front "fork" roughly over the frame just behind the door)
then just pull all your might at the opposite rear corner till you get it to clip into that turret.
If you have someone to help ...it helps!

I cannot really suggest anything else, there is no easy way.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I just removed the hardtop and put the tonneau cover back on my '86 spider this weekend. I always find it difficult to stretch the cover enough that the metal clip on the cover reaches the "turret" on the body. I worry that I'm going to lose my grip and the cover will snap back and scratch the paint on the car, but that hasn't happened yet. Perhaps two people tugging on the cover together would make it easier.

Then I noticed that the plastic front forks I replaced this winter were on the wrong sides.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
It is extremely hard to put it on, which is why I don't use it often.

I will say that when it is on, it transforms the car to a very classy, elegant look.

Reactions: Vintre

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
The plastic hooks on my tonneau were broken, so I ordered a pair at an exhorbitant price on ebay. Here's what one looks like:

Then I had my son carefully measure them and prepare a CAD file for printing on a 3D printer. We printer a number of pairs successfully on a resin printer (a Creality3D LD-002R UV Resin LCD 3D). Here's a photo of a pair that we printed.

I'll post the CAD files next so that anyone else who has a 3D printer and wants to print a pair can do so.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
The stock plastic hooks tended to break so I paid an exhorbitant price for metal hooks from the old IAP. If you have these, or even the plastic printed versions, take a file and round off the sharp corners on the projections that might come in contact with the trunk lid as you drag the tonneau across the trunk. Don't ask me why I recommend this...

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I can't guarantee that the 3D-printed plastic forks will last any longer than the stock forks, but if you have a printer at least you can keep printing more.

And sorry for misspelling exorbitant!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts