Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have the dreaded intermittent start when the car is hot issue. Would someone post some picks of their Starter Relay installation? I’m not much of a auto electrical person so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
I would first say something else is wrong, which should be solved. Ignition switch contacts, poor grounds, poor connections, dying solenoid, etc. Just my sense of it.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Further thought: the 12V juice to the starter solenoid comes directly from the battery. Tons of amps and I can't imagine the relay that would help. The 12V hot wire from the ignition switch comes through various connections, but still, I think you have a problem to solve first. I've had tons of Bosch Spiders and never had this issue. Might be as simple as needing a new starter?
Andrew

·
Administrator
17,057 Posts
I have to disagree with Andrew. There have been numerous cases (mine included) where the contacts in the ignition switch become unable to supply even the relatively small current needed to operate the starter solenoid. Adding a relay such that the ignition switch only needs to trigger the relay (which then is able to send full power to the solenoid) has solved many no start issues.

That said, if the issue only arises with a hot re-start the first thing I'd suggest is to make sure all the connections in the battery to starter circuit are 100% clean & tight. Disconnect the battery then remove the connections at the starter motor, clean them & secure them. Clean the battery terminals and the cables. And also clean the ground cable's connection to the body (sort behind the battery). There is also a ground strap between the bell housing & the inside of the transmission tunnel (under the car).

Some info on wiring a starter relay here: Spider Technical FAQ Digest

On a similar line, I have also installed a relay for the switched circuits of our GTV6. It improved the operation of the power windows and windshield wipers noticeably. Info about that is here: Proud owner of an '82 GTV6

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
little how-to with diagram
even if it doesn't cure the problem, you will be doing the IGN switch some good, in the long run.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, just finished a lite restoration on this car replaced and checked all the ignition components and battery (not my first rodeo I’ve owned 5 Alfa’s and currently own 2 Spiders) it’s either this or new starter/solenoid, or possibly ignition switch but I’m going to start with this first. Starter current doesn’t go through this relay just the current to trigger the solenoid. Lots of cases on this forum where this did the trick on Bosch Spiders. I am following the wiring diagram in the FAQ of this forum. I was looking for pictures because I want it to look nice and figured other folks have done the trail and error of finding the best place to mount and route wiring. Thanks again for the response.
Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to disagree with Andrew. There have been numerous cases (mine included) where the contacts in the ignition switch become unable to supply even the relatively small current needed to operate the starter solenoid. Adding a relay such that the ignition switch only needs to trigger the relay (which then is able to send full power to the solenoid) has solved many no start issues.

That said, if the issue only arises with a hot re-start the first thing I'd suggest is to make sure all the connections in the battery to starter circuit are 100% clean & tight. Disconnect the battery then remove the connections at the starter motor, clean them & secure them. Clean the battery terminals and the cables. And also clean the ground cable's connection to the body (sort behind the battery). There is also a ground strap between the bell housing & the inside of the transmission tunnel (under the car).

Some info on wiring a starter relay here: Spider Technical FAQ Digest

On a similar line, I have also installed a relay for the switched circuits of our GTV6. It improved the operation of the power windows and windshield wipers noticeably. Info about that is here: Proud owner of an '82 GTV6
Thanks I will check the grounds again and clean and tighten the connections. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
351 Posts
even if it doesn't cure the problem, you will be doing the IGN switch some good, in the long run.
I would have to agree with you...it's amazing how much current is routed thru ignition and light switches on older cars with minimal gauge wiring and the failure of those components after years of excessive current. My Dodge neon melted part of the light/turn signal switch. I have head light relays on it now...will be doing the same with my new alfa very soon.

The PO installed a push button to start the car...obviously my ignition switch has failed in some manner...likely from the starter solenoid current load it's been subjected to over 40+ years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Everyone! Knocked this project out yesterday and so far no more issues. Also starter cranks noticeably faster now.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Good news
Another satisfied BBer?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Further thought: the 12V juice to the starter solenoid comes directly from the battery. Tons of amps and I can't imagine the relay that would help. The 12V hot wire from the ignition switch comes through various connections, but still, I think you have a problem to solve first. I've had tons of Bosch Spiders and never had this issue. Might be as simple as needing a new starter?
Andrew
Agree that was my issue and replace starter and never had the problem again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts