Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attaching a new rear deck badge on my 85 (i.e. the large badge). The badge has some adhesive tape that comes on it, but it doesn't actually reach to my deck lid to attach. Anyone else ever have the problem? Strange.

At any rate, it seems I will need some sort of alternative adhesive. I was thinking clear silicone. Anyone else have better ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I use Seal-All. Works great!

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I am attaching a new rear deck badge on my 85 (i.e. the large badge). The badge has some adhesive tape that comes on it, but it doesn't actually reach to my deck lid to attach. Anyone else ever have the problem? Strange.

At any rate, it seems I will need some sort of alternative adhesive. I was thinking clear silicone. Anyone else have better ideas?
Scott, don't use silicone or RTV - it will seep into paint/surface. High quality double sided emblem tape is the best thing to use - it is designed to go on a painted surface AND be safely removed later if need be. If you need to double up the tape, that works too. If your paint is cured long enough, put a layer of carnuba wax down if you suspect you may remove the badge in foreseeable future.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Now ya tell me, Rob! I used silicone sealant/adhesive (a.k.a. RTV which stands for "room temperature vulcanizing", I believe they are synonymous) to install the "Sprint Veloce" emblems on the sides of my '79. Guess I won't remove them until the car needs a paint job :)

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Now ya tell me, Rob! I used silicone sealant/adhesive (a.k.a. RTV which stands for "room temperature vulcanizing", I believe they are synonymous) to install the "Sprint Veloce" emblems on the sides of my '79. Guess I won't remove them until the car needs a paint job :)
Well, I should have said "don't use cheap RTV." There are different curing methods for it (acidic vs non). The stuff is great for many things but not great for emblems. By the way, it can be very tough to remove completely if well bonded to paint (the same chemicals that break down the RTV also break down the paint).

·
Registered
563 Posts
I use the GE brand clear silicone that's readily available in hardware stores. It's single-part and cures at room temperature, giving off acetic acid (vinegar) fumes. I can generally remove it by careful peeling without damaging the underlying paint, but not guaranteed. I've been using it for decades to install leather/felt pads into metal key cups on woodwind musical instruments, in that application the glue is removable without damaging anything.

Not sure how to use double-sided sticky tape with "open" metal scripts such as the "Sprint Veloce" emblems. Wouldn't the tape show through the openings in and between letters? And is there enough surface area for a good bond?

More questions than answers, sorry about that.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I've never had any luck securing mine in an acceptable way. It pops up in the middle, it's loose on a corner. I used 3M badge adhesive originally, but I left the car in the driveway overnight while I was sealing the garage floor and some punks ripped it off, taking a fair bit of paint with it. My neighbor found it in his yard, somewhat mangled but salvageable. I straightened and flattened it, but it still won't lie flat against the decklid. Frustrating.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the large deck badge on the later model GTV6s, the badge itself comes with adhesive tape, but it doesn't protrude far enough past the badge to actually make contact with the deck lid. Strange.

The other thing is that the deck lid has 2 holes where the badge pins go through. Seems tape by itself wouldn't keep water from making it under the badge and into those holes (thereby into the trunk). Anyone else have a problem with this?

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah - this is starting to make more sense now. Off to the hardware store to see what I can MacGyver. If anyone has any ideas (or extra cups) let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah - you're right...per below. I just automatically default to anything bodywork wise on a GTV6 being unobtanim. Guess maybe I should actually try to find things every now and then. ;-)

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/store/2382

1 - 12 of 12 Posts