Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather has finally changed and it is time to finish up my 164 suspension rebuild. I am installing my B&G springs and new OEM style rubber bushings in the rear trailing arms. I put poly bushing in the whole car about 5 years ago and now that I am running Koni struts with B&G springs I wanted to get back to all rubber bushings to help balance the handling and ride quality, I already put new A-arms in last year.

My worry with the trailing arms is the process of pressing the larger forward bushing into the arm itself. The old poly bushing came out of both the hub and arm freely but I am worried about crushing the arm by using a press to install the new bushing. The forward part of the trailing arm where the bushing presses in is by design a split piece and I am worried that the pressure it may take to press the bushing into the cavity may also bend the two halves of the arm together. Has anyone else had an experience with pressing new OEM bushing into the rear trailing arms? Is there any need to worry about damaging the arm itself? Any insight would be really appreciated.

·
Premium Member
27,453 Posts
I have not done this but might I suggest freezing them in the freezer for days on end or using dry ice and then press them in ASAP.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Steve, thanks for the tip. The bushings have been in the freezer for a few days already as I had read that somewhere else, hope it actually helps. It seems as though I may be the only one to try installing an OEM style rubber bushing into the trailing arm, everyone else seems to go with the poly but i am trying to get the car back to a comfortable ride by taking the poly out. I will have a go at it next weekend and let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
I replaced those bushings with OEM. The trick in pressing out and in the new ones is to use something to maintain the gap between the 2 sides while doing the pressing. We didnt freeze them, but its bound to help.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This weekend I installed the new OEM rubber bushing into the trailing arm and rear hub. I had to use a sawzall to cut out the old bushing sleeve from the trailing arm and then I used a piece of pipe and a flat piece of steel sandwiched in the vice with the trailing arm and bushing and a lot of spray silicone. I was able to get all the bushings installed in about 45 minutes. I spent the rest of the afternoon reinstalling the rear end, I now have all new front and rear rubber bushings in the car along with new upper strut mounts, B&G Springs and Koni struts. Next weekend I will install the B&G springs in the front and then my year and a half suspension rebuild will be done.

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
This weekend I installed the new OEM rubber bushing into the trailing arm and rear hub. I had to use a sawzall to cut out the old bushing sleeve from the trailing arm and then I used a piece of pipe and a flat piece of steel sandwiched in the vice with the trailing arm and bushing and a lot of spray silicone. I was able to get all the bushings installed in about 45 minutes. I spent the rest of the afternoon reinstalling the rear end, I now have all new front and rear rubber bushings in the car along with new upper strut mounts, B&G Springs and Koni struts. Next weekend I will install the B&G springs in the front and then my year and a half suspension rebuild will be done.
Let us know how the ride is?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do Jason, I should get a chance to take it for a quick ride by next weekend, of course my inspection sticker has been expired for 4 months because the car has been sitting. I am going to need to get a good alignment done after the front is finished, is there anything different to know about the alignment on a car that is lowered with B&G springs? do the factory specs need to be modified at all?

·
Premium Member
27,453 Posts
Next weekend I will install the B&G springs in the front and then my year and a half suspension rebuild will be done.
Does this mean you will not be on our wine tour this weekend? We will be at IAP Saturday from 9-11 to buy parts before we go to first winery.

Vintage Virginia - Wine Tour 2011
Event Itinerary
Friday April 15th -
6pm to ?: Wine & Hors d’oeuvres meet and mingle reception in the English Inn’s meeting room. Friday’s dinner will be on your own

Saturday April 16th -
9am: Visit International Auto Parts

11am: Depart from IAP for winery #1

~12-1pm: Lunch at the winery

~2pm: Drive backroads to winery #2

~4pm: Return on back roads to English Inn

7pm: Dinner at English Inn, Pizza, salad, dessert and soft drinks provided
(Bring your own wine/beer)

Sunday April 17th -
10am: Drive backroads to winery #3

12pm: Lunch at winery

Notes:

1) Cost for lunches and pizza dinner is $25 – Reception Party is Free
2) Be sure to bring a drink to have with lunches – Alfas are not large cooler friendly.
3) Contact the English Inn to make reservations: 434-971-9900 or 1-800-786-5400 (be sure to mention Alfa Romeo Club).
4) '~' is a limp spaghetti noodle denoting laid back pasta eater time!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Steve, It sounds like a great weekend but unfortunately it will be a few more weeks before my 164 is back on the road. I will be finishing up my suspension on Saturday and then I need to get an alignment and a state inspection. I will definitely be taking it for a leisurely ride, or more than likely a push it to the limits sprint on some back country and mountain roads when it is done in order to test out all my new suspension components.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally Done!

I was able to finally finish my suspension rebuild this weekend. I got all of the new B&G springs installed along with the trailing arm bushings. I just need an alignment and then back on the road it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I am in the process of re-building my LS rear suspension, so any thread about
springs and struts I find very interesting .

I am going with standard components, albiet it was hard to collect all the parts.
So, I am interested in the non OEM available products.

My question is with the lower coils being compressed , how is the ride??

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Cam, I haven’t yet had a chance to take the car for a ride, I still need an alignment and a state inspection before I can get the car back on the road. As far as the ride and handling I hope that i get the best of both worlds with my setup. The main reason i did not go with factory struts and springs is cost. For the past 5 years I had been running stock struts and springs with all poly bushings. The handling was great with the poly bushings but the ride was a little too hard for comfort. With this suspension rebuild that I just finished I replaced all of the poly bushing with OEM rubber bushings and now have the adjustable Konis with B&G springs. I am hoping that the rubber bushings will soften the ride and that the Konis and B&Gs will give great handling characteristics. With all that said I will let you know how the ride is when I get a chance to drive it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Perfect! That is how i would describe the ride and handling now. I got a spot on 4 wheel alignment yesterday morning and a state inspection that the car passed with flying colors. The ratio of ride comfort and performance handling is amazing, i drive down a bumpy road without cringing at the ride quality like i did when i had the poly bushings and the car handles corners and changing lanes like it is on rails. Rubber bushings with Konis and B&G springs it definitely the way to go and the perfect setup for the 164. It was allot of time work and money but it was all worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts