Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an MSD 6al in an 1980-81 Spider with the Marelli Plex distributor? Are there any issues? Is the GM HEI module needed or can be removed when adding the MSD 6al with a new high voltage coil?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Duck said:
Has anyone installed an MSD 6al in an 1980-81 Spider with the Marelli Plex distributor? Are there any issues? Is the GM HEI module needed or can be removed when adding the MSD 6al with a new high voltage coil?

Thanks for any advice.
Why? I've had the Plex in at least five different 105/115 cars, works great, never had a need for any ignition "enhancement" Used with either Bosch Plat, or Lodge (2)HLE plugs. The Plex is the best part of to 80-81 Spider (other than the top down)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have converted the car to Dellorto carbs. From most of the research I have done, the MSD should improve starting and fouling of plugs.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Carburated alfas foul their plugs most often because the plugs are too cold for the driving that they get. The famous Lodeg 2HL's are so cold that they need 1/2+ hour at empty freeway speeds daily to keep clear.

We tend to drive our babies gently, which contributes to fouling. They actually like being thrashed a bit.

One way to reduce fouling is to use a warmer plug. Champions and NKG's have been popular, with many different heat ranges available to choose and experiment with.

A plug in the proper temperature range should have its center insulator covered with a very thin light brown powder. Any black is unburned gas (or oil leaking by the valve guides or rings). Heavy black soot is common for he 2HLs driven gently around town. FI cars generally have less fouling because of the feedback from the O2 sensor; carbs don't know the fuel isn't all being burned.

You can always try the traditional Italian Tune-Up - drive around like a maniac in first gear at as high an RPM as you can tolerate without getting a ticket for an hour. (Ever noice your local Ferrari's doing this? They are notorious for cold plug fouling).

R

·
Supporting Vendor
4,334 Posts
I would agree, if the Plex is in good condition, it should work very well with carbs.

If your plugs are fouling, the problem is probably mechanical in nature and not electrical. Installing the MSD box may produce a hotter spark and mask your problem, but won't be a permanent solution.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts