Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of this mod a few times, but never seen anything documented on what has to be done. I'm keen to obtain a set of RHD Bosch headlamps fitted to the 24v models (Q?). They look a lot better to me with the dual concentric lenses and the indicator built in. I am wondering if they will physically bolt and plug straight in or is there mechanical and electrical modifications involved?

If it requires significant mechanical mods I probably won't bother, but if just the plugs need changing then I would imagine it would be a straight forward job.

Cheers,
Benjamin

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Benjamin, there's a decent amount of rewiring that you will need to do, but if you can find the right adapting plugs, its not too bad and you wont have to cut into the harness. I believe one of the plugs is the same (5 or 6 pin) that is used on the mirrors.

Would you be interested in the later style mirrors? I have a set of RHD mirrors that I accidentally bought a while back.

·
Premium Member
27,299 Posts
I've heard of this mod a few times, but never seen anything documented on what has to be done. I'm keen to obtain a set of RHD Bosch headlamps fitted to the 24v models (Q?). They look a lot better to me with the dual concentric lenses and the indicator built in. I am wondering if they will physically bolt and plug straight in or is there mechanical and electrical modifications involved?

If it requires significant mechanical mods I probably won't bother, but if just the plugs need changing then I would imagine it would be a straight forward job.

Cheers,
Benjamin
So doesn't your Euro/Au spec 164 already have what we call Series 1 Elma headlights with H4 bulbs and peanut city light bulb?

If so wiring should be close but not quite the same. Elma is a rectangle 6 wire connector and the Bosch projector connector is a 5 wire rounded end rectangle connector with seperate two wire connector for turn signal.

I used a similiar male rounded connector and wires from inside spare 164 front doors I had to plug into Bosch headlight connector and spliced wires into USA wiring harness.

Basically connector is/are:

A - hi beam green Left light and green/blk Right light
B - hi beam black ground
C - low beam gray L gray/blk R
D - city light (parking) yellow
E - LB/PL black ground

Note: First and second pictures showing Bosch connector hooked to male connector I cut out of door wiring and third picture is Series 1 Elma connection.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Steve, that's exactly where I got my 5 pin connectors from. There was one other location in the 164 that used them, but I forget where.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for posting up that info Steve :)
I am about to embark on the same job and don't have to do as much work now :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts