Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I imported a 1994 LS into Canada and I now need to install some form of daytime running lights.

I looked at this thread http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=13078 and it seems unclear if i actually have those relays, or from the first few posts if i should just hot-wire something in between the two wires?

What would be the easiest way to do this? Just run the foglights straight to the ignition?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,943 Posts
Don,

Have you checked to see if the relay sockets (shown in the last post in the thread) are there? If they are, you should just be able to put in relays and get DRL behavior.

I bet they'll be there, just without relays.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check on that. Would these just be regular relays bought from any store or I'd have to get them from an Alfa?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,943 Posts
*Probably* they're just standard Bosch 5-pin 30A relays like you can get at any auto store. But if you can find someone who has them to verify it, that would be best.

If the socket has extra pins, that would be a good hint that you need something a little more esoteric :)

For my Milano the Cardisc has relay diagrams for all the relays IIRC. If the 164 manual is the same and you can pull up the relay diagram that can tell you what you need.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looked for the relays and could not find them or an area with a lacking relay.

I checked canadian tire and its 24.99 for the kit, I'll just opt for this

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not sure if 94164 is same as 91, but relay is located under the centre cosolle, just behind ebrake, that's where it was on mine but in that case i wanted to get daytime light off so i just pulled the relay off, in your case if u lift up the centre consolle u should see the missing relay.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it just directly behind the e-brake? I didnt manage to take the whole center console off. Its an automatic and I wasnt sure how to remove that part of the console. I did manage to look behind the e-brake and not see anything.

How do you get the center console out on an automatic?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So on the automatic I'd just remove the knob and then what? Is the shift knob removable?

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
It didn't look to me as if it were far enough forward to get to the shifter mechanism for either transmission. The console area with the window switches seemed to be all that was indicated in the manual illustrations. But I've been wrong before.

Michael

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Removed the knob to the auto shifter but havent figured out how to get the center console fully off yet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
there are two screws in the back, remove them and it should just slide off

fullsize1234[1].gif

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I think there are screws back at the ashtray (base of console) and some under the switch plate. Not much is in the way of lower console removal. I've really thought about doing this (meaning console removal to pull the shifter rods; one poster said it was a piece of cake that way) to get at the reaction rod and shifter bushings of my daughter's car, but as I'll probably be pulling the engine for transmission repair and a bunch of other stuff, I thought I might be able to get at them from the engine compartment. I really don't want to have to monkey with the starter in close confines. But maybe I should look into rolling the engine forward? I have a rebuilt starter to put on this 150k mile car, and I don't want to leave the old one in place for obvious reasons. 150k of them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think there are screws back at the ashtray (base of console) and some under the switch plate. Not much is in the way of lower console removal. I've really thought about doing this (meaning console removal to pull the shifter rods; one poster said it was a piece of cake that way) to get at the reaction rod and shifter bushings of my daughter's car, but as I'll probably be pulling the engine for transmission repair and a bunch of other stuff, I thought I might be able to get at them from the engine compartment. I really don't want to have to monkey with the starter in close confines. But maybe I should look into rolling the engine forward? I have a rebuilt starter to put on this 150k mile car, and I don't want to leave the old one in place for obvious reasons. 150k of them.

You should be able to get to the bushing no problem by removing the console, should be less work than doing it from engine compartment. But might be wrong.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
On my 91 Canadian car the DRL relay (just one though the shop manual says there are two) is under the very back of the center console. I just removed the ashtray and could reach the relay to pull it to disable my DRLs. Putting it back in would probably require undoing the screws and lifting the console to get a look at the socket.

I don't beleive the DRL's are a safety feature so I disabled mine. I prefer being able to flash my lights to warn oncoming traffic. I know when to switch on my lights for safety without the car doing it for me.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright well I cant find these relays, I managed to pop the whole console off and couldnt find them. Weird.

OT: Does anyone know if the LS/Q came with a speedometer that read in km/h and mp/h?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The speedometers are different for Km/h and Mp/h. I have a Kilometer speedo if you want to swap for the Mph cluster? My Q4 is in Kilometers and I want to put a Miles per hour speedo in it so I do not get a ticket and to tell how fast I am going.

Are daytime running lights required by law in Canada?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes all cars made from 1990 and on came with drl or are requred if imported.
It is required on imported cars if they are 15 years old or newer.

Lenard! You saved my day. I'll trade you right away! All gauges on my LS are in known working order. Does it matter that its an auto? I assume the memory for how many kms/ miles on the vehicle are seperate from the little screen?
I'll get to work on tearing the cluster out. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
It is required on imported cars if they are 15 years old or newer.

Lenard! You saved my day. I'll trade you right away! All gauges on my LS are in known working order. Does it matter that its an auto? I assume the memory for how many kms/ miles on the vehicle are seperate from the little screen?
I'll get to work on tearing the cluster out. :)
I should let you know that this may not work for both of you. I purchased a used km's cluster for my USA '95 LS and it doesn't work properly. Apparently there are many different electrical connection versions. My one caused the taillights not to work and other electrical issues. The only answer for me is to take it a part and swap the gauge faces if I want to and this isn't particularly easy. There is a certain procedure to do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts