Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Alfisti!

Does anyone know how to install these vent screens?

The diameters seem to be the same so I am unable to push one onto another.

·
Administrator
17,043 Posts
My guess is the hose has likely shrunk over time. I would use a heat gun (on low setting) or even a hair dryer to warm up the hose to make it more pliable. Once you get it to slip over the dash vent piece it'll shrink into a tight fit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a different problem. I can't get the nut on the backside of the dash vent to loosen. Hand are either to big, not strong enough, or both :-(

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
For me, I had to mount the vents to the dash first, then use heat gun to soften the tubes before sliding the dash into place.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am I right in saying:

Use a heat gun on the part that is attached to the vehicle in my picture and soften it up?

Are there any other ways to soften the rubber?

It looks like plastic but perhaps it was soft rubber at some point?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Is it fitting it to the dash? or where it goes in to the rubber tube?, there should be a lock ring on the back of the vent

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Install the vents into the dash, secure with lock ring on the back. Do this with the dash out of the car. Then, get a heat gun, an extension cord, and plug in the extension cord to an outlet. Run the extension cord into the car (via open door or window) and plug in the heat gun.

grab the dash and begin to fit it.As you get it into place, have someone hold it, and , one side at a time, use the heat gun to soften the rubber tube that slips over the vent inlet. You will need to do this on both sides.
Reach under th e dash, grab the rubber tube carefully (it is somewhat hot) and maneuver it over the vent inlet

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Install the vents into the dash, secure with lock ring on the back. Do this with the dash out of the car. Then, get a heat gun, an extension cord, and plug in the extension cord to an outlet. Run the extension cord into the car (via open door or window) and plug in the heat gun.

grab the dash and begin to fit it.As you get it into place, have someone hold it, and , one side at a time, use the heat gun to soften the rubber tube that slips over the vent inlet. You will need to do this on both sides.
Reach under th e dash, grab the rubber tube carefully (it is somewhat hot) and maneuver it over the vent inlet

Thanks you apparently read my bumper DIY, in my defense I think the pictures will help people in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts