Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm interested in installing the metal dashboard from later Duetto or European spider junior into a 1974 spider.

Is it a straight forward install or am I asking for a lot of trouble?
Is it even possible?

I really like the classic metal dash.

·
Premium Member
1968 1750 Roundtail Spider Euro version
325 Posts
you may have curvature issues! the windshield for a S1 is different than an S2. the S1 dash specifically conforms to the sheet metal on the inboard side of the windshield.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
thats true - the top is different the bottom is the same... I stand corrected!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for replying.

It also appears there is a different bend in the lip at the top where the dash pad attaches. The Pre-69 has a flat 90 degree lip but 69 and later has an angle. I don’t think that should matter to the installation as long as I used the correct dash pad.

Thanks again for your replies.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
all I can tell you is that aligning the sheet metal to the underside of the dash pad was a royal PITA for me because they did not line up properly. I had to bend the sheet metal very slightly in certain spots for them to conform. There is a groove in the underside of the dash pad that has to fit snugly into the corresponding sheet metal - otherwise the dash pad will not seat against the inside of the rubber windshield seal....

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
I'm interested in installing the metal dashboard from later Duetto or European spider junior into a 1974 spider. Is it a straight forward install or am I asking for a lot of trouble? Is it even possible?
I guess anything is possible; it's just a case of how much modification you are willing to perform. While I haven't done the swap, I predict that it won't be a "bolt-in". Things like heater control cables & ducting and gauge wiring are likely to need some modification.

But hey, give it a try and report back. I'll agree that the look of the roundtail's metal dash is more "vintage" than the vinyl dashes used on the squaretails.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,388 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
There is a metal cross member that is under the dash in the spiders that had the metal dash. It supported the dash and is also the chamber for the defroster. It matches the curve on the bottom of the dash picture Osso posted.

Here is a picture of mine showing the cross member with the curve. You can also see the 4 tubes sticking down that the defroster hoses connect to. Last thing. As far as I know only the Duetto windshield gasket has the rubber lip on it that goes over the top of the dash which helps seal the defrost chamber.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts