Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some up grading on my 74 spider.
I want to go from older standard seat belts to newer 3 point style.
Has anyone installed these adapters.
I have Emailed them for a copy of the install instructions.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still looking for info on this part..
Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't have any info on that item, but you may also want to consider this version from Vick:
It's more expensive, but does include the belts. Scroll down for the pictures of it installed. I think it looks better thought out than the Bertelsbeck one, but I don't have experience with either.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
10,351 Posts
I am surprised that the Vick product locates the inertia reel so low relative to the occupants' shoulders. Factory-engineered 3-point belt systems route the belt through a "D" ring located above shoulder level. With the belt coming from below, you get a lot of compressive force on your spine in the event of a collision.

If you are OK with mounting the reel that low, I'm not getting why you need this bracket. It would seem that you could just attach the reel to the lower/rear bolt shown in the second photo below. Perhaps that bolt alone isn't strong enough.

In Vick's defense, the challenge in retrofitting a 3-point belt to a spider is the fact that there isn't any structure above the occupants' shoulders and you have to locate the parts so they will clear a folded convertible top. In later spiders, the seats incorporated the shoulder harness guide, but were strengthened to withstand the vertical load. Routing the shoulder belt through a carabiner clipped to the headrest on an unreinforced seat isn't a great solution, as the seat is likely to collapse in a severe impact. But maybe it would reduce injury in a moderate collision.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On Vicks I would weld a 3" steel square 90 deg to the two vertical pieces so the the belt exits the real
without making a sharp bend at the real.

Below is a photo of a bracket I came up with on an other car. Seems to work pretty good.
Solid Teak.

"as the seat is likely to collapse in a severe impact. But maybe it would reduce injury in a moderate collision.

That's true but the seat would collapse anyway but only in the rearward direction and that would always happen when hit from the rear no mater what kind of seat belt you have installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts