Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My 164 S is due for inspection soon and I was wondering if there were any places in/near Norristown that have inspected Alfa's before that you guys would recommend. Also, what do they particularly look for/test when they do an inspection. This will be the first car I'm having inspected and I don't know much about how it works. I want to make sure that I can send in my alfa for inspection and have it pass without any complications (here's hoping.. lol).

Just any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

Best Wishes!
Kate

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
Hello everyone,

My 164 S is due for inspection soon and I was wondering if there were any places in/near Norristown that have inspected Alfa's before that you guys would recommend. Also, what do they particularly look for/test when they do an inspection. This will be the first car I'm having inspected and I don't know much about how it works. I want to make sure that I can send in my alfa for inspection and have it pass without any complications (here's hoping.. lol).

Just any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

Best Wishes!
Kate
This might be a place to start to see what your state inspectors are required to look at and test for emissions:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspections/index.shtml

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Kate we never did get to see any pics! Or did you post some and I just missed 'em?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
That's what I love about CA. Your car could be the biggest POS with a sagging exhaust, suspension mounts that are about to collapse, no brakes, and go down the road sideways, but if it passes smog, you're good for another two years!!

I think there would be less road accidents if CA adopted a policy like this, but I know it wouldn't fly...

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/section_e.pdf

·
Registered
503 Posts
same here in TN, you wouldn't belive some of the stuff i see on the roads, no windshields, no bumpers and the list goes on

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
My originale bought new 1991 164B just passed VA state inspection at my "favoright" inspection station and only thing inspector could have final word on this time was "alternator serpentine belt has some cracks inside it".

He failed lady in front of me for tire thread depth to low (he used gauge to check) on right rear tire after he changed a right head light bulb that must have been burnt out on low beam.

Boy was he slow as he had to stop and burn a couple cigi butts and look at his fellow mechanik's cell phone pictures. Only took me 1 1/2 hours in line to see him complete two cars in front of me. Oh, well they raised rate to 16.00 for inspection now so have to burn up some time I guess.

He had to ask me how to open fuel filler door so he could check gas cap seal and where was fog light switch.

I only hope that all inspection stations in VA are as thorough as mine because I see some jack leg looking cars on the road.

I believe in keeping my family safe in our cars. Have to with the screwball drivers out their nowadays.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Steve, out the door, our emission check inspection is about $50 - $90 depending on the place and whether or not you need a test only certificate which most alfas are subjected to.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I hear you about keeping safe cars on the road, i get behind some and just stay far away for fear something might fall off, but the other side of this is when i lived in New Hampshire, they were extemly anal and if there was a chip in the head lights or turn signals they had to be replaced along with other minor things, i personaly felt it was a way to keep a certain group of people in the state and keep the poor folks out it was rought for me since it cost 3k to get my saab on the road but it passed NY state inspection no problems maybe 4 months earlier.... okay i will get off my soap box now,

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Jason, I hear you. I think parts of it are just to create revenue for someone...whether it be some politician, the inspection shop, the car manufacturers, etc... Somewhere down the line, someone is getting kickbacks.

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
Steve, out the door, our emission check inspection is about $50 - $90 depending on the place and whether or not you need a test only certificate which most alfas are subjected to.
Some parts of VA also have emission testing and state inspection but here where I am located we only have safety inspection. I am sure my cars would pass emission testing but I see many and smell many who wouldn't.

I agree some states carry inspections to extremes in what they look for and what they charge to do it.

·
Premium Member
16,273 Posts
That is always the worry about State Inspections, that they might go overboard, and get very anal. Very few of us have showroom cars, no matter how we try.

The Brits are that way I hear, that if the windshield is smudged, out you go, etc, so to speak. Well, anyway, I have heard from friends there that they have nitpicked on some pretty nondriving deficiencies.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
In Ireland's NCT, if your windshield washer squirts too high or ontop of your hood, you're done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In Victoria, Australia, you only have to get a Roadworthy Certificate, RWC, when a vehicle changes owners (buy/sell). So as you can imagine, some people hold onto a car for a few years and drive it into the ground, absolute death traps on the road. The police do random checks on the roadside on suspect looking cars and its usually not difficult to find something wrong, esp with older models (tyre wear, handbrake loose- "clicks" too many times when being engaged, a head/tail/reserve light out, cracked windscreen, etc).

Other Australian states do annual checks I think, don't know why Vic doesn't.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Tim,

No offense to your Dad, but Algar is the last place I would ever take a 164 let alone any decent Alfa... That is unless you like being handed a bill that accounts for a portion of the national debt... and your car is in worse shape than when it arrived!!!

I don't say these things lightly... Algar has burnt me too many times to feel otherwise... in my opinion members of the service department are either brilliantly crooked, or grossly incompetent with regard to alfa repair in general... Now Ferrari/Maserati may be another story... but I dont own any of those...

As for local shops that I HAVE HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE WITH:

Nick Falcone's
Bala-Cynwd PA

Fred Sonsini's
Plymouth Meeting PA.

Both of these shops specialize in Alfa, and have always been fair with the bills, and great on repair quality. The turn over time is slow... but when I consider the alternatives.... I go with the more reliable.

Regarding what PA state inspection sites look for:

1) Overall Structural integrity
2) Steering & suspension
3) Brakes and all related components
4) Engine Mechanical (including all hoses, belts and engine mounts)
5) Transmission mounts and linkages
6) Tire quality and tread depth
7) Exhaust system (Check for leaks and operation emission controls)
8) Electrical Check (Head Lamps, Turn signals, Brake lamps, Plate lamps, Horn, etc...)
9) Windshield wiper system.
10) Engine emissions testing...

So that is a basic run down of what you need to worry about... If your car has any defects in these areas it will NOT pass... unless your mechanic is extremely nice !!!

I hope this helps...

Cheers
Martin.

PS Again Tim, I am sorry if I came across harshly towards Algar... but experience has taught me a lot... and their only saving grace is Jeff Price in Parts... he is a great resource.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Martin,

That's fine. I honestly wouldn't know because I don't personally take my car there. If i do any work on it, we do it at home, if possible. I take it their for inspection only.

Everyone is open to their own opinion so if that's how you feel, that's alright with me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts