Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, i continue my disassembly of my spider 56, and i write all i 'll must to repare
i would like to know how is the glove compartiment ? is she with skaï ? towelling ? or just paint metal and with what color ?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine is original and it has a rough flat black finish, but it's NOT a crinkle finish like the top of the dash. Kind of reminds me of those skid strips they put on the ground or a diving board stairs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ha ok, very good, i see what you say, it's like skateboard, but how make this style, with sand incorporated in the paint ?

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
When I substitute something like this in a car that is over 50 years old I always give the substitute material a test.

1. If the product existed when the car was made, would the manufacturer have used it because it was easy to install; inexpensive; and functioned?

2. Does the product look like the original, obsolete item?

3. Is the material the product is made from of the period in which the car was produced?

I believe if the substitute ptoduct I used was around in the '50's it probably would still have been too labor intensive even if the pieces were die cut, but it still passes the test.

For these reasons I have used a self sticking "peel 'n stick" black felt that is a beautiful substitute; is 1/16" thick; cuts with a pair of scissors; sticks and stays stuck and lays flat and butts at the corners; and the only tools required are a pair of scissors and a ruler (measuring stick) and best of all there is no clean up.

The factory had a spray gun in their hands and conquered the problem by spraying a composite of glue and fibers to create somewhat of a texture of fabric that was very thin trying to create a felt like appearance. It was cheap from a labor standpoint but the materials and equipment were not.

Here is a great source; SELF ADHESIVE FELT DRAWER LINER 12" X 36" PEEL STICK | eBay

·
Registered
312 Posts
it's like skateboard, but how make this style, with sand incorporated in the paint ?
You got it, exactly!...it’s a really fine texture, I’m not sure it even has sand in the paint, if it is sand it’s really fine sand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you have this paint in 59, i think in 56 it's the same, it 's difficult to find an original non restored car 56
i have the time before to paint box ! but i would like to write définitively my future work !
in france a man who have a 56 (N°~800) have fine black felt
what do you think about this, it 's just an exemple after a quick searching

astuce bombes de peinture à effets texturés

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I gave you my reading on the subject.. If you put this much effort in the rest of the car you will be pulling oil out of capped wells in Borneo from 1959 to run it. Good luck..and be rest assured no matter what course you take, someone will say it's wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's right !
i'll just try to make a conform car but if it's too dificult, i 'll make how i feel and basta ! but if a can do it it 's much better !

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
When I substitute something like this in a car that is over 50 years old I always give the substitute material a test.
For these reasons I have used a self sticking "peel 'n stick" black felt that is a beautiful substitute; is 1/16" thick; cuts with a pair of scissors; sticks and stays stuck and lays flat and butts at the corners; and the only tools required are a pair of scissors and a ruler (measuring stick) and best of all there is no clean up.

Here is a great source; SELF ADHESIVE FELT DRAWER LINER 12" X 36" PEEL STICK | eBay
Uncle has it correct and this is a great substitute for the original "flocking" that was sprayed at the factory. The grainy texture someone mentioned was probably the glue left over after the felt flocking material long since has worn away and now all you see and feel is the rough glue.

George

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Here's a flocking flocking site that is in the UK. I am sure they can handle the challenge of a Alfa Romeo glove box. I was reminded that in my youth one of the trends in the drug culture of the 60's was to flock the entire exterior of customized vehicles like a funeral hearse. Apparently the industry still has blooms.

Banbury Flocking Services

FWIW, I guess I'll admit I never thought the process would be available today. The Spider does have a removable glove box which makes this process possible outside the car. The SZ (and Sprint) had vinyl that continually failed to stay stuck and was a royal PITA. The Super has a plastic molded bin that swings down and is flocked.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'll have to take a better look at my car and see if this is just glue left over from flocking. I'll have to ask my father also on this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
FWIW, my late '61 spider glove box interior was definitely flocked. It was in pretty good shape too but had some scratches to bare metal. So I stripped it and have been planning to use one of these flocking kits. The contact paper sounds like a real good alternative but, will it conform to the indented reinforcment ribs on the bottom of the interior?

·
Registered
127 Posts
My `56 giulietta spider was a former race car so I doubt that the thin textured vinyl inside mine was from anywhere besides the factory. The way it is installed took considerable time and effort and was done in a very professional manner. Also the thickness and pattern of the vinyl is quite simular to that of material used in other Italian cars of that era. But, judging from the response from all the others that posted, it may not be original but in that case somebody went to a lot of work.

John Viereg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts