Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
quick question, I have tried to remove the inner door panel. Was able to remove all screws and parts that are holding the panel to be removed except the inside door handle. Once screw is removed I can not pull it out? only for 1/4Inch. Am I missing something?
thanks for info.
Stay safe

·
Registered
190 Posts
When you say "inside door handle" do you mean the handle that you move to unlatch the door ? On mine, that handle is attached to the door release mechanism via a splined shaft and secured with a small screw. Removing the screw means it slides off the shaft

·
Registered
375 Posts
This is an added feature put on all vintage Alfa’s. What seems simple and easy has a way of frustrating the f*** out of you. I’ve had the same problem on my GTV. Wiggle, pull, shimmy and shake it. Swear and call it names. Then barely touch it, and voila! It comes off.
I find swearing in Italian speeds up this process.

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Will continue to swear in Italian and French (I am) and see what happens). Very frustrating indeed.

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
By "inside door handle" do you mean the part pictured below? If so, reply #2 from Malcolm1 gives the answer: remove the screw and it should come off. If it doesn't come off, apply some penetrating oil, work it back and forth, apply more force, .... There's no hidden clip or other secondary fastener.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
The OEM handles have a long thin pointed grub screw that extends pretty far into the handle. The new ones that are available actually look great but the grub screw has a shorter blunter tip, so if you have the older type maybe remove it. I am having a ***** of a time removing my window winder as the slot for the flat bladed screwdriver is half missing, may have to Dremel the handle to access it.

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it. Took time, swear and some délicate force.
now I discovered that the metal plaque that holds the 45degres screws is loose from door frame and screws are loose as well(weld broken). .I do not see replacement plaque on classic alfa nor centerline. Any suggestion.
thanks all for your input.

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
OK, so it was your armrest - not your door handle - that you were struggling with.

Sometimes, it's good to post a picture.

Other than re-welding the thing back together, I don't know what else to advise. To my knowledge, no one is reproducing that part.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The OEM handles have a long thin pointed grub screw that extends pretty far into the handle. The new ones that are available actually look great but the grub screw has a shorter blunter tip, so if you have the older type maybe remove it. I am having a * of a time removing my window winder as the slot for the flat bladed screwdriver is half missing, may have to Dremel the handle to access it.
let me know how you get that sorted cuz I have the same issue!

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Can you not remove the plate, re-weld the angled long 'bolts' and then rivet the plate back on?

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been able to reattached 2 new long “bolt” and bent them to 45degres. Once done I have attached the metal plaque to the door frame with 4 littles bolts and nuts (so that easier to remove should I need to). It works now and armrest/handle are securely attached to the door.
My only difficulty was to insert the bolt in the long screws once armrest in place as the screw tend to turn with the bolt. Not much off huge issue to resolve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts