Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
I've never seen such weights for sale anywhere.

One of the problems with these weights is that they allow only static balancing (because the studs are centered on the inside of the rim), while modern stick-on weights can be placed closer to the inside or outside of the wheel, thus allowing dynamic balancing (compensating forces that may pull the wheel axially towards or away from the hub).

·
Push hard and live
11,028 Posts
I've never seen such weights for sale anywhere.

One of the problems with these weights is that they allow only static balancing (because the studs are centered on the inside of the rim), while modern stick-on weights can be placed closer to the inside or outside of the wheel, thus allowing dynamic balancing (compensating forces that may pull the wheel axially towards or away from the hub).
Wheel shops in my town have no problem doing dynamic balancing with these type weights. They’re a bit of a nuisance compared to modern weights, but they’ve always gone along with it.

In a pinch, I’ve used large OD 1/4” aircraft “fender washers”. You can use non-aircraft, I just keep those in stock. The hardware store variety are lighter weight than aviation, so you can mix and match to get what you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts