Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stripping down and rebuilding about 4 gear boxes with lightened gears and the first gear synchro fix. I have two input shafts with a cir-clip and 2 with a locking ring that you stake in place.

When did they change over from the cir clip?

Any idea what the torque is on the input shaft locking nut?

Can you interchange the two of them (I can't imagine why not).

·
Richard Jemison
7,371 Posts
Input shafts

Technically from a fitment standpoint there is only three types of split case input shafts.

Early versions that had larger diameter input shafts behind the clutch splines that have smaller 4th gears with 22 teeth. Oil seal area is larger. These are not going to interchange with the later layshafts (4th gear) designed for 23 tooth input shafts.

Early mid `60s 101/105 that had the same fatter input shafts with larger 23 tooth 4th gears and the oil seal area is larger as above.

Later 105 / 115 with smaller shaft amd smaller seal area. again the 23 count
4th gear. These fit in the hydraulic clutch bell housing with the built in sleeve for the TO bearing to ride on.

The input shafts with 23 tooth gears can be fitted to any of the later 5 speed boxes with oil seals that accomodate the different bell housing and shaft sizes (I keep those in stock ). The fat shafts can be machined to smaller OD as with the later versions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts