Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While working on my '74 over the weekend, to correct some electrical issues, I drove it out of the garage and parked it to work on it. Starter worked fine at that point. When I went to restart it, no go. I can hear the relay clicking, but the starter solenoid does not seem to engage. The seat belt interlock has been bypassed, and I cant see any fuse issue that would affect the starter. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
21,386 Posts
No fuse on the starter circuit. Try the following:

Battery voltage too low
Battery connections poor at battery and/or starter
Wire from ignition switch to starter solenoid screwy
Ignition switch elec contacts poor
Something screwy in the cold-start circuit, which ties into the solenoid circuit
Solenoid/starter itself needs repair
Andrew

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No fuse on the starter circuit. Try the following:

Battery voltage too low
Battery connections poor at battery and/or starter
Wire from ignition switch to starter solenoid screwy
Ignition switch elec contacts poor
Something screwy in the cold-start circuit, which ties into the solenoid circuit
Solenoid/starter itself needs repair
Andrew
Thanks. I tried to jump start from another battery, but no go. No cold-start circuit, as it has webers. As I mentioned, i can hear the relay click, but that's it. I need to check the wiring to the starter, but the ignition switch seems OK, as the relay fires. I bumpstarted it yesterday, so everything else seems OK - just the starter circuit. As I had the fuse box down, maybe I disturbed some of the wiring there.

·
Premium Member
21,386 Posts
Try hitting the solenoid with the wooden handle of a hammer. I'd guess dead solenoid, as you suspect.
Andrew

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The main contacts inside the solenoid could be corroded or burned. If you're very careful you can remove the rear plastic cap on the solenoid and clean the contacts. Do not attempt to remove the nut holding the copper bar to the solenoid shaft. I broke mine trying to remove it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts