Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Ok so I've started this thread to avoid hijacking JJs, but it should also give me some more exposure.

Anyway, recently I was made aware of the Innovate Motorsports LM-1, an air/fuel ratio meter and datalogger for those who don't know it. After reading through the information about it, I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a unit, particularly due to the strong USD/AUD exchange rate at current. So background outlined is as follows.

At current my car is reasonably stock, a BMW AFM, custom intake and that's the bulk of it, however in the very near future (that is, when Greg is ready) I plan on supercharging it, and will be coupling it with a GoTech Pro courtesy of Mezevenf, along with a few others bits and bobs. Now of course that requires dyno tuning to keep the maps happy, and with my preferred workshop being a good 1hr away costs start to rise. Thus my thoughts of using an A/F meter and data logger to allow tuning at my own pace, in the garage, to my preferred specifications and giving me that experience. Particularly since I don't know whether the supercharger or ECU will come first at current. We also have 2 other 2.5L 75s, and there's the possibility of creating a budget track car as well with the parts car we currently have.

I've also been made aware of the Zeitronix ZT-2. Basic research tells me the log software isn't as good as Innovate and is more expensive with all the options, however the LCD display is quite small and displays more information (Lambda, AFR, Boost and EGT). Obviously that has the advantage of not having to purchase additional gauges to measure the same things.

Edit: Just realised the LM-1 has the advantage of 44min worth of real time datalogging contained in the unit, whereas the ZT-2 requires a laptop is plugged in for data logging. That's a big selling point for the LM-1. On the flipside, the ZT-2 doesn't require an additional RPM adaptor...hmmm..

So, the questions - Does anyone own or use an Innovate LM-1, or equivilant meter/datalogger? Comments or criticisms? Alternative suggestions? And most importantly, is it really worth it?

Cheers

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
79 Posts
both are pretty good. you will need a laptop for tuning the gotech anyways, so it's not really a problem. zeitronix is generally cheaper, so that's my preference. we used lm1 while tuning the gotech and it worked pretty well, i.e. saved us a lot of dyno time.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I'll need to use a laptop for tuning, and it's certainly not an issue. However if I wanted to log figures, say, whilst doing some track work, not requiring a laptop in the footwell is certainly a big advantage of the LM-1.

The more research I do the more it seems the LM-1 is what I'm after, particularly that portability, so I can use it for adjustments on the other cars.

So I guess I'm looking more for experiences, praises and criticisms?!

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I have not used the Innovative Motorsports LM-1, but I have seen it and a lot of people use it and really like it. I really don't think you can go wrong with that product.

Personally I use NGK's (yes the spark plug people) wide band sensor and air fuel ratio meter. It's very accurate and easy to use. It does not log any data, but SDS does that anyway so I really don't need any other logging capability.

The advantages of the NGK system are:

It's Very accurate

It measures a wider range of air fuel ratios than most others. This can be important if you are running down near 10:1 air fuel ratios.

It's compatible with leaded racing fuels .

It's inexpensive.

Here it is:http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/air-fuel/faq.asp?nav=19100&country=us

I am certainly not saying it's "better" than the innovative motorsports system. I am just saying why I use it.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Mr. "Bulgaria" above here (one of the Rice U. SAE students) can tell you more about their work between the LM-1 and the GoTech...

The GoTech will also data-log and then you can over-lay the Innovate graph with the GoTech graph and make adjustments in the shop/at home after driving...

1) Use the Innovate purely to monitor the AFR - and have a passenger make adjustments - while driving the car or while running it on a dyno!
2) The Rice guys found a way to feed the GoTech AFR data via the Innovate's wide-band 5-wire lambda sensor, so after rough-in mapping, you can have the Innovate always feed the GoTech AFR info and the GoTech will make small adjustments from there!
3) I have seen numbers below 10:1 display on the Innovate and above 21:1 so would assume that the range of the Innovate is sufficient!
4) In that case, you may not need the LM-1 but could make-do with the less expensive stand-alone gauge and lambda only (no data-logging) like the one that I am installing in the 3.7...

Assuming that Bernard held back the coil-packs and the 60-2 crank-pulley and the Bosch crank-angle sensor, you will need those replaced and adapt the 60-2 ring-gear to your 12 valve crank pulley to make those happen.

Email me an time at [email protected] or buzz me at 091.425.941.4747 here in the US if I can help...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have used the LM-1 for a year now. Use It on anything from tuning mc carbs to modern fuel injection. Great tool.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The LM1 is very flexible. In one week I saw my mechanic tune 2 ALFA v6s, a Fiat 4cylinder (all l-jet) and wait for it...

A 2.0 Fiat Dino V6 w triple carbs. By datalogging the A/F over RPM you
can see where you have flat spots and or rich lean. Using the logs he was able
to adjust the carb jets to improve the idle and the mixture.

I've looked into the dynojet and AEM W/B 02 sensors, but the innovate does
seem to be the "industry standard" Very flexible, and lots of real world
experience w these units. They also have a programmable output for the 02 so that you can simulate a narrow band.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Hey JJ75! Welcome...

How about an introduction post, some pics of your Alfas etc...?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm some valid points.

I'm not sure whether I've accidently sold myself on the Innovate, but the datalogging is still high in my books due to it's portability, I know I keep bringing it up, but the ability to be used on multiple cars has some importance to me and helps justify the purchase, all the other units are really more aimed at running in one car and one car only.

Keep the information coming though, the more I know the better!

Email sent JJ :)

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
79 Posts
generally the lm1 is accepted as the "standard" in wideband tuning which makes the other companies come up with nice software features and lower prices. of course there is a reason why the lm1 is the standard. check out the Import Tuner article as shown on the zeitronix site (if you have not already) http://www.zeitronix.com/press/afrshootout1.htm

Mr. Bulgaria :D

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Hey Captain Bulgaria,

Would you please have your buddy over there detail the wiring oif the LM-1 in to the GoTech Pro for us! Also, ho he used it to over-lay the graphs (if I understood this correctly) and what else you guys did with it.

Come on - out with it!:D

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
79 Posts
other than that you can use the lm1 narrowband output connected to the gotech, so that you can datalog using the gotech (no need to connect an rpm sensor from the lm1) i have no idea what you're talking about :p maybe damen should chime in. btw we use gotech standard, not pro :eek: we cheap :D

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Good for you guys!

No, the last time when I was there, your "Captain GoTech" was saying that he managed to tie-in the LM-1 to the GoTech somehow and that you guys were able to do most of the rough-in tuning at home after driving and data-logging with the two together...?

Somehow "overlayng" the graphs and clearing up spots in the map that way!?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I thought I may as well update by saying I bit the bullet and bought an Innovate LM-1 yesterday.

LM-1 with RPM converter and Innovate Case for $391USD shipped to Australia.

I'm sure it will be put to good use tuning my car, and the others.

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
This is an old post, but I did a search on Zeitronix and came up with this. I have one that I haven't used yet. I got it about a year ago to do some data logging and never got around to using it. Right now I'm preparing for an aftermarket ECU and it can take a wideband O2 signal to make AFR calculations.

Since the original poster has solved his issues, I'm asking those familiar with O2 controllers to chime in. Most people that feed ECUs with an O2 signal do so with LM-1 or the LC-1. The Zeitronix is marketed as a data logger and I am wondering if it as well can feed an aftermarket ECU?

It has both a narrow band and wide band output and I want to confirm that this is what the ECU can use. Acutally it has both a linear and a non-linear wide band output. I just don't understand the wideband enough to know if this is what the gauge uses as well as what an ECU needs.

Any enlightening info appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a Zeitronix. I love it. I've used to to feed O2 to megasquirt on 2 cars and replace the factory wideband (using simulated NB out) on 3 vehicles.

I bought it used and couldn't get it to work, even after buying a new Wideband Sensor.

I contacted Zeitronix and even though it was 2 years out of warranty and I was not the original purchaser, they repaired it for free. Top notch customer service.

Also, you can have them upgrade your ZT-2 to the latest specs for really cheap, like $50.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I've had good results just installing another bung for the WBO2. Then you have narrow band for your ECU and wideband when you need it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts