Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't budge tie rod to align front end so I'm going to pull off the tie rod and probably just replace it. Which tool works best for this job?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Which one are you trying to loosen? one is left hand thread, right?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which one are you trying to loosen? one is left hand thread, right?
Inner passenger side. Alignment shop couldn't get it to budge and also my long time Alfa tech who sold me the car couldn't get it to budge even with a lot of heat. He suggested take it off and getting it in a vice to see if it can be freed up.

·
1991 164L
27,889 Posts

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
"one is left hand thread, right?"

Don't think so, as by assuming they are identical, I can adjust the orientation of the steering wheel to what I want. And, Fiat eper shows only one part number for both.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Where the inners attach to the rack are both right hand, but it sounded like the problem was with the alignment adjustment and the lock nut, or inner arm attachment to the ball joint. One of those is left hand, no?

·
17,388 Posts
No, those are both the same right hand thread. Eper shows just one part number 60511622, two needed.

·
1991 164L
27,889 Posts
Where the inners attach to the rack are both right hand, but it sounded like the problem was with the alignment adjustment and the lock nut, or inner arm attachment to the ball joint. One of those is left hand, no?
NO righty tightly lefty loosey. His problem as I understand it is that threads between inner and outer TREs are frozen and even heating with torch will not free them up.

If jam nut is frozen to threads, too I have had to cut nut off threads and then have been able to get two rods to seperate/turn in a vise and using a pipe wrench.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I've never experienced a frozen inner tie rod but wonder...

if you pop off the tie rod end from the upright, then gently "massage" the tie rod, moving it back and forth, little by little in circular and different directions, isn't there a chance that the inner ball will loosen up to the point where you can rotate it?
Not being there before, I not sure this would work, but I'd certainly give it a try. If the inner tie rod joint is frozen, is just dry or rusted?

·
1991 164L
27,889 Posts
I've never experienced a frozen inner tie rod but wonder...

if you pop off the tie rod end from the upright, then gently "massage" the tie rod, moving it back and forth, little by little in circular and different directions, isn't there a chance that the inner ball will loosen up to the point where you can rotate it?
Not being there before, I not sure this would work, but I'd certainly give it a try. If the inner tie rod joint is frozen, is just dry or rusted?
I really don't think the inner TRE is frozen in its ball socket.

His problem as I understand it is that adjusting threads on inner TRE are frozen in the outer TRE and even heating with torch will not free them up.

If jam nut is frozen to threads, too I have had to cut nut off threads and then have been able to get two rods to seperate/turn in a vise and using a pipe wrench.

This is what we are talking about: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/165144-inner-outer-tie-rods.html

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Oh, I guess you are right Steve. When people write "inner tie rod" I think "inner", meaning the joint at the rack.

I personally would not remove TR from the rack so to be able to put it into a vise. It will loosen in situ if you have a large enough vise grips and clamp it with serious muscle. Are you sure you've been turning it the right way?

·
17,388 Posts
The threads are probably frozen in the outer housing to the upright ball joint. Is this originally an East Coast car? Probably rusted to hell and gone. The ones in my 91S with 175k miles on it on the West Coast are still free running, as yours should be otherwise.

I suppose one could cut the outer housing lengthwise with a Dremel to separate/split it from the inner threaded shaft. Even if the inner shaft threads are cut into, won't hurt them, as a new outer housing will still thread on ok with no appreciable loss of strength. Just use antiseize on the threads upon reassembly for the future.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Sorry, my bad on left hand thread...what was I thinking...maybe the rear?

·
17,388 Posts
It's ok, we know you are getting old, like the rest of us, lol.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
You can say that again, again, again, plus this week I started training for a 5K run and am beat! It ain't like the old days!

·
17,388 Posts
We know, it's actually training for your dancing lessons, lol.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really don't think the inner TRE is frozen in its ball socket.

His problem as I understand it is that adjusting threads on inner TRE are frozen in the outer TRE and even heating with torch will not free them up.

This is what we are talking about: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/165144-inner-outer-tie-rods.html
Yes, this is the case here. Getting the car aligned was not too much of an issue since it was close but getting steering wheel strait was. I'm buying new tires soon and want to get it dialed in just right, so I want to get it off and see if I can free up the adjustment threads. If not I'll replace it. I'm ordering the Cal Van tool from Ebay. Like $22 with shipping.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts