Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of getting the 164 cleaned up inside, I found a broken inner door handle. I didn't think about it at the time, but while I'm doing the headliner removal, I see that the rear passenger door handle is missing. Apparently this had broken when my older son had the car and had forgotten about it.

I see that IAP fortunately has this part in their catalog. But cardisc doesn't seem to give any directions for r&r. Is it a safe assumption that this is a straightforward repair once all the panel hardware is removed?

·
1991 164L
27,621 Posts
If handle hinge/hardware remains in place then pretty easily fix once you remove window switch trim finisher (look for small phillips screw under where handle was) and then 3 screws for arm rest.

To remove arm rest it is best you slide up upper door panel so mushroom end of arm rest top mounting pin will unlock from spring detent in door frame.

I never tried it, but you maybe able to swivel arm rest up and with window down change out broken handle through window opening if you can't get arm rest upper mushroom end off spring lock inside door frame.

·
Registered
326 Posts
just replaced mine 3 months ago. A bit tricky, be careful with the spring position. You'll probably see some foam pads inside, remember squeezing them back to hold tight the assembly. Otherwise inner handle with have a loose feel, although it works.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alfisto Steve said:
To remove arm rest it is best you slide up upper door panel so mushroom end of arm rest top mounting pin will unlock from spring detent in door frame.
Assuming the design of the arm rest is the same as the front, I know the motion I need to apply to get mushroom end off the door frame. What you described so far avoids removing the door panel off completely which would be nice. However if the job is easier by removing the entire door panel, I would be okay to do that.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yiminlu said:
just replaced mine 3 months ago. A bit tricky, be careful with the spring position. You'll probably see some foam pads inside, remember squeezing them back to hold tight the assembly. Otherwise inner handle with have a loose feel, although it works.
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I just did my second one a few minutes ago, so it's fresh in my mind. This is for the rear door. It's not much different for the front one except that you need to take care with the air ducing in the front door. Here's how it is (sorry, no pics):

1) pull single Phillips screw holding piece fore from door handle.
2) slide this 8" long molding forward (window switch mounted)
3) Remove large Phillips screw holding front end of main armrest, then remove other two longer Phillips screws along bottom edge of armrest.
4) Disconnect the courtesy light at the base of the armrest.
5) remove tiny Phillips screw about 6-8" from aft end of door. read steps 6 and 7 before doing step 6 following.
6) carefully move upper door panel upward. This molding is clipped to the upper edge of the door sheet metal and may be hard to loosen. Mind the foam liner on the inner glass surface.
7) as the door panel moves upward, the armrest mushroom will free itself from its U-clip trap. That's all the motion that is required. If you haven't fully removed the panel and can simply reposition it, you might want to do so now. The mushroom spud can be reinserted with the upper door panel in place.
8) Pull the foam from the back of the door handle mechanism. It should be a few cubic inches. No need to be rough with it or rip it into many pieces. You want it in one piece, if possible. It keeps the wind from blowing into your rear seat passengers' elbows.
9) While holding the door handle mechanism in the "open" position (you may want help) dIsconnect the two screws holding one end of the hinge pin and remove the clip holding the pin in place.
10) take a screwdriver and carefully pry the spring toward the center slot of the handle mechanism. There is a retaining lip about 1 mm high, and you have to clear it. Dont stick the screwdriver through any objects, either animate or inanimate.
11) slide the hinge pin toward the clip end (which you removed) and remove the hinge end of the handle from the door handle.
12) insert the new door handle, fork end first, through the just undersized opening in the armrest. You'll have to corkscrew it through, but it can be done without damaging the armrest.
13) insert the spring and the hinge pin into the new handle and push the new handle to rest in the armrest. I do this without the spring in its final armed location. Then I use a screwdriver to reinsert the end of the spring in its final position. It takes me about a minute to do this last step. I did it twice this afternoon because I (mistakenly) thought I had to take the handle apart and install it again. I had missed where the foam insulation went.
14) then hold or have someone hold the door handle in the "open" position while you reinstall the two-screw clip removed above. Put the foam insulation back in place. It goes between the door handle and the door panel, not under the door handle between it and the armrest.
15) reposition the mushroom end of the armrest over its hole in the upper door panel and bap it into place with the heel of your hand. It has to expand the sides of the U-clip, and it needs some force to do so.
16) reinstall the courtesy light and reassemble the armrest in reverse order from the disassembly above.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks. If I remember, I'll try to snap a few myself. This seems like a common problem.

(BTW, where did you get the part from. IAP doesn't appear to have it in stock according to their website.)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Better get friendly with APE. These parts are not to be found unless you get them from a parts car and the going rate is higher than the original list price in some cases... <sigh>.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
keep your broken bits and pieces, folks. and maybe get familiar with eutectic soldering. haven't tried it yet, but may have to learn.

I had the left rear inner door handle in hand from a previous purchase. I will replace the right rear inner handle after I receive one from IAP (can you guess what precipitated my installing the one for the other side, which I already had in hand?)

either re-join the broken pieces or get ready to fabricate new handles. I'm considering this. I think some others already have done so for the NLA left front inner door handle (LHD driver's door). If I had a hobby foundry, I'd already be in business, folks.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke to Difatta this morning and they suggested going the repair route, but I chucked the handle already... Duh.

·
1991 164L
27,621 Posts
Some of Alfisto Steve's rules:

Never throw away an Italian car part, especially if you haven't already installed a good replacement part and checked it out for proper operation.

Never can you ever ever have to many spare parts (even if they are broken unless totally destroyed by wear as in such as an spun engine bearing).

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Duly noted, Sir!!!

So what about things like heater cores and stepper motors? Are these at great risk of no longer being available either now or in the near future?

·
1991 164L
27,621 Posts
Heater cores are Saab 9000 similiar so maybe available for awhile longer. Stepper motor gear box replacement gears available in OZ www.alfapro.com

·
1991 164L
27,621 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Gr8sho's first post says missing rear passenger (right) inner handle. My wife's car had a left rear inner handle broken many months ago, and I had purchased a replacement for it and it's been playing hide and seek with me, hiding when the car is home and revealing itself to me when the car is gone. Then a few days ago a daughter broke the right rear inner handle. Naturally, I couldn't find the left inner handle for a few days. But I found it and installed it. IAP is out of stock for the left rear inner handle, or I'd have ordered a replacement for the shelf. But I have ordered two right rear inners, and will use one when it arrives tomorrow.

Uh-oh. Just looked. Hmmmmm. Joke's on me. I ordered two right _front_ inners. Busted. I guess I'll have to be looking up solder alloys myself sooner than I thought. Heck. At least I still have the pieces. and three right front inner handles.

Michael

·
1991 164L
27,621 Posts
Michael if this text from his first post denotes RR inner handle then the code is broken:

"In the process of getting the 164 cleaned up inside, I found a broken inner door handle. I didn't think about it at the time, but while I'm doing the headliner removal, I see that the rear passenger door handle is missing. Apparently this had broken when my older son had the car and had forgotten about it."

I have never seen a rear driver just rear passengers except for "back seat drivers" so if broken handle is a "rear passenger" for a USA LHD model it could be a near side or far side rear handle for bloke in UK with a RHD model. But if it is really a right rear inner door handle it is a right rear inner door handle.

I prefer for clarity that Left and Right terminolgy (as viewed from sitting in driver's seat) be used when describing parts needed. This way covers both LHD and RHD models equally. You got to know your left from your right as in port and starboard matey.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alfisto Steve said:
Which inner rear door handle do you need as they are not interchangeable?

L/H REAR 112220266 www.difatta.com shows 1 in stock, http://www.international-auto.com/ IAP #13366
R/H REAR 112220166 http://www.alfapartscatalog.com/ shows in stock, http://www.international-auto.com/ IAP # 13348

L/H FRONT 112218666 no longer available (NLA)
R/H FRONT 112218566, http://www.international-auto.com/ IAP #13365
He's dead, Jim.
I called IAP and Difatta to ask about the right rear inner handle. IAP in particular told me they are not getting more and production ceased in July. Difatta told me same. APE knows this and has set their price accordingly.

·
1991 164L
27,621 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have had to fix the driver side inner handle on the '91 by attaching a bent nail to the handle and it worked foe a couple of years. It too eventually broke and I got a replacement from a weecking yard in Ohio (can't. find the name right offhand). For $35.00 they sent me the entire arm rest complete with handle. Since then I have been preaching the practice of pulling on the handle (both inside and out) slowly and stop when the latch releases. The design does not take kindly to pulling all the way to the stop and will have a noticibly shortened life if treated this way. It wouldn't. be so bad if new parts were available but soon repairing may be the only solution. Heed Alfasteve's advice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts