Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove the injectors on my 164 6 3l. I think they come out just by pulling them, but I need confirmation. I know there are O rings holding them down, do I need to change the O rings after I pull the injectors out? Can I use the old O rings? How do I pull the injectors out? Any special tool? Any knowledge is very welcome. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
you pull then straight up or out. You can turn them to get then going.
just keep in mind that nothing should fall in to the space once they are off. So have a consolidated non dander plug ready.

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,532 Posts
Be sure once you pull injector out that pintle hat on end of injector is still on injector and did not fall into intake area above intake valve.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The lower part usually comes right out because the seals hardened over time, and so you should always use new seals on them when reinstalling.

On the top part, I found that rotating them in a circular motion while pulling works best, as they're fitted pretty tightly. All top seals I've seen so far were in perfect condition.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not to be overly pedantic, but you will need to remove the intake runners to get the fuel rail out, and then you can remove the injectors. The hex heads take a 5mm wrench. A fairly long ball end hex wrench will make your life better, particularly one that fits a 3/8" ratchet. As you remove each runner, put a rag in the intake port to prevent anything falling in and causing you a bad day.

There are metal clips that connect the injectors to the fuel rail. These are easily removed with a pair of needle nose pliers (and easily dropped into the valley between the heads, where you must fish them out with a small magnet wand).

The AMP connectors that connect the wires to the injectors are often brittle and will crack or possibly fall apart. They are available aftermarket, reasonably inexpensive (at least in the US). Installing is a bit of a fiddle.

As mentioned by others, you'll want new o-rings top and bottom. The injectors are common Bosch form factor used on many brands of car, the o-rings are equally common and widely available.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your useful advice. I removed the injectors and I found no.2 very dirty and water wet. I removed the back cylinder head and there water in cylinder no.2. Inspected the gasket and there is no damage there. The water is coming from somewhere but not from cylinder water passages. I am investigating. I took photos but I can't post them. How do I post photos? Thank you.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
To post photos, Click the "go advanced" buttonjust below the "Quick Reply" Scan down to "manage attachments"

·
Registered
104 Posts
If the water isn't getting in from the top, then seal at the bottom of the liner is suspect.

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,532 Posts
Coolant must have been passing by flame ring seal in head gasket as it looks like water injection has cleaned piston pretty good.

Seal at bottom only keeps coolant out of oil pan.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,534 Posts
Low head torques is the likely cause, leading to much coolant leakage, esp after engine shutdown, when coolant system is still pressurized.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The inlet valve is clean above
the cylinder. I suspect a crack inside the manifold as it is very clean too. I took the cylinder head to a recondition shop for a check up and I will have a report on Monday. Will keep informed. Thank you everyone for your response.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
While you've got the injectors off, you may want to have them services and spray patterns checked. I took mine to a local diesel shop that can do Bosch injectors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is no crack inside the manifold but various little holes which let water pass under strong pressure. The recondition shop can repair it, but will not guarantee a 100% job as holes will probably open to other cylinders. I am looking for another second hand head. The car has done 340.000 km but I love it. Will keep informed. Thank you everyone for your response.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
While you've got the injectors off, you may want to have them services and spray patterns checked. I took mine to a local diesel shop that can do Bosch injectors.
Waiting for a cylinder head, I will try to service the injectors by myself. I have made a tool but I am not sure about the voltage to open the solenoid. Can I connect a 12V battery? I am worry about too strong voltage. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.