Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

was looking at the dead cylinder forums last night. I turned on my v6 super a few days ago to discover a rough idle - it had been fine the night before. Seems like the two outer cylinders on the rear bank are not firing/fuelling. Think it is a fuel/injector problem as when lifting off the throttle after flooring it the car gets more power as the throttle gets to the two-thirds point; i.e. not enough fuel for correct mix at full throttle.

Going to have to take the rear injectors out - does anyone know if this is possible without removing the inlet runners?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Going to have to take the rear injectors out - does anyone know if this is possible without removing the inlet runners?
I'm pretty sure you need to remove all the intake runners before you can pull the fuel rail up with the injectors.

I think you're more likely to have a electrical (connection, sensor, etc) or ignition problem in your 24V than a fuel supply problem!

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Is the car displaying any error codes?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Hi,

was looking at the dead cylinder forums last night. I turned on my v6 super a few days ago to discover a rough idle - it had been fine the night before. Seems like the two outer cylinders on the rear bank are not firing/fuelling. Think it is a fuel/injector problem as when lifting off the throttle after flooring it the car gets more power as the throttle gets to the two-thirds point; i.e. not enough fuel for correct mix at full throttle.

Thanks.

If you have to pull the injectors you will have to pull the runners. Report your findings please. I had the same problem and I think it is fixed but not 100%

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

No error codes and two cylinders on rear bank not changing effect at all whether injector leads are on or off. The middle one has an audible effect when reconnected - for about a second. All on the rear bank.

Will post the findings/developments.

Fingers crossed.

Richard

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Have you check rear injector harness connectors with a NOID wafer plugged in to see if you have or have not got flashing signal from computer?

Have you swapped ignition module harness connectors between modules on air cleaner bracket to see if problem switches to front head?

How do you know rear intake cam has not jumped time?

Do some troubleshooting before you pull intake and injectors.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you check rear injector harness connectors with a NOID wafer plugged in to see if you have or have not got flashing signal from computer?

Have you swapped ignition module harness connectors between modules on air cleaner bracket to see if problem switches to front head?

How do you know rear intake cam has not jumped time?

Do some troubleshooting before you pull intake and injectors.
Hi Steve, thanks for that.

Can I ask where the ignition module harnesses are exactly and what they look like? Sound like a good check to try.

Cheers,

Richard

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Hi Steve, thanks for that.

Can I ask where the ignition module harnesses are exactly and what they look like? Sound like a good check to try.

Cheers,

Richard
Look on side of air cleaner mounting bracket they are there. Swap cables from one to the other and see if problem moves to front bank.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Here is a picture of 164 24v ignition modules (SGR 10223 is bracket air cleaner is mounted to).

Check harness connectors for cleanliness and swap between modules to see if problem moves to other bank of engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a picture of 164 24v ignition modules (SGR 10223 is bracket air cleaner is mounted to).

Check harness connectors for cleanliness and swap between modules to see if problem moves to other bank of engine.
Many thanks for the detailed picture. Will try it before pulling the injectors. Have a friend who had injector problem on a 12v - were filled with crap on two of them so injectors could be the problem but am aware the O rings could get damaged removing them and need replacing, so would be great if it is just a dirty module connector.

Will post results as they come. Thanks again.

Richard

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE:

Swapped the ignition modules and the problem remained on the rear bank. Going to pull the rear injectors over next few days.
Will post the results, whatever they may be.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Be very careful when removing them and account for all pintle caps on end of injectors as they can pop off below lower oring and drop into cylinder.

These caps are not metal but still could cause a problem if left in cylinder.

I would advise trying to have intake valves closed as much as possible so if one does pop off and drop it will be caught in valve port under head of valve and can then be retrieved with mechanical fingers. So with intake runners remover try to do one head at a time.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Be very careful when removing them and account for all pintle caps on end of injectors as they can pop off below lower oring and drop into cylinder.

These caps are not metal but still could cause a problem is left in cylinder.

I would advise trying to have intake valves closed as much as possible so if one does pop off and drop it will be caught in valve port under head of valve and can then be retrieved with mechanical fingers. So with intake runners remover try to do one head at a time.
Thanks Steve - good advice. Luckily not done it already as weather been ****e - global warming and all that.

Cheers,

Richard

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

Got injectors out this evening and look OK - pins not jammed and no visible debris above the filters except for a bit in number 5. Will try blowing through them tomorrow and checking their electrical operation. O-rings intact!
Going to change the plugs at the same time - not due for another 18,000 miles but got a new set in advance so might as well drop them in whilst the plenum chamber is off - didn't need to go that far for the rear injector rail but decided to do the plugs anyway.

Will post the final results as soon as have them.

Thanks and fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
You might want to get injectors tested and cleaned by such a place as this www.cruzinperformance.com I have had Rich clean a couple sets for me and my friend and they work fine. He replaces inlet filters and orings for reasonable price.

I guess your are across the big pond from us but surely someone does it over there, too.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You might want to get injectors tested and cleaned by such a place as this www.cruzinperformance.com I have had Rich clean a couple sets for me and my friend and they work fine. He replaces inlet filters and orings for reasonable price.

I guess your are across the big pond from us but surely someone does it over there, too.
Thanks Steve,
will have a look in the phonebook.
All the best,
Richard

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts

How long does it take for Cruzin to turn injectors around?
I figure, while the heads are off......

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
How long does it take for Cruzin to turn injectors around?
I figure, while the heads are off......
Email Rich and ask him what his turnaround time is now. It was pretty fast last time I had some done. And as I remember he sends you pretest results first as I had one that leaked so it fell out in pretest. Then you get final test results after cleaning along with injectors and all the old parts back he changes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts