Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know, there are days (and lately there have been many) that I should listen to my friends and get rid of my Alfa...it's a good thing I love her :)

Apparently one of the metal fuel injector lines broke on the way to work today. It broke off at the pump side with about 3/8 of an inch of tubing showing. My question is, is there a quick fix like fuel line and a couple of hose clamps? I am at work, about 75 miles from home, and would like to patch it up before making the trek...

Will the ol hose and clamps trick work or is there too much pressure for that?

Please let me know...and thank you SO much :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don't think so...if you try you could have one nice engine fire:eek:

Someone here should have a used one , I gave away my last set

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
use fi hose clamps.. not water hose clamps, those will push off, under pressure..if you have enough metal tube left( is it the long metal tube that runs under the car to the fuel rail?) if so just get a longer hose to fit, fi hose, then re-clamp it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
use fi hose clamps.. not water hose clamps, those will push off, under pressure..if you have enough metal tube left( is it the long metal tube that runs under the car to the fuel rail?) if so just get a longer hose to fit, fi hose, then re-clamp it.

There is no fuel rail on a '81

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't sure about that fuel rail thingy...

This is one of the 4 metal lines coming off the injector pump...it is the one closest to the firewall that broke. I'm hoping my local auto parts store will have some sort of injector line and clamps...

i uv my car...i luv my car :mad:

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
NO, NO, NO!!!

DO NOT use fuel hose or clamps on the high pressure (400psi) Spica injector lines! (unless you want your 15 seconds of fame on the evening news; car explosion and resulting fire engulf local... well, I hope you get the idea)

The car should be considered out of service and off the road until repairs can be made. Replace the entire line with a good, used one.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
DO NOT attempt to patch the steel FI lines. The pressure is too high and will blow the hose off and spray high pressure fuel. As I remember from Wes Ingram, the Spica pressure is around 500 PSI.

Suggest you have the car towed and replace the lines. Possibly some of the brackets/braces are missing that secure the lines and that will allow the lines to vibrate and break.

Hope this helps. George

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
this is an on going problem .these lines are 30 years old at the youngest, and with age and use , metal fatige( sp?) set in.. i have seen some spica cars at searspoint raceway use braded stainless steel lines,and they do not worry about them, areoquip lines, these can handle up to 1000 psi on size an 4 - an12.. more than enough..at some point in the near future, thses line will not be around anymore, so one should start looking into the future , than the past for these part..or you will soon not be driving a spica car anymore..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The Spica steel lines are sized and tuned to work with the Spica pump and injectors. Unless you are changing pump settings and injectors for racing, stick with what works, as designed. The stock lines work well and last, as long as they use ALL of the factory clamps and braces, including the pump and starter brace (on the 2ltr). Vibration is the enemy.

There are LOTS of good used lines out there, I gave all my spares to Wes Ingram, other wise, userissue, I'd give you a set. G

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
question. form what i remember here. al the spica hard lines are the same lenght, so why could you not use aeroquip lines, if they are the same lenght.. are we just stuck on useing old tech? maybe old wives tales about spica hard lines.. lets say a spica hard line is 12" long, would not a aeroquip line 12" be the same?

·
Registered
348 Posts
question. form what i remember here. al the spica hard lines are the same lenght, so why could you not use aeroquip lines, if they are the same lenght.. are we just stuck on useing old tech? maybe old wives tales about spica hard lines.. lets say a spica hard line is 12" long, would not a aeroquip line 12" be the same?

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
alfastruns.. cute photo. but think..the logic is sound...the aeroquip lines are rated at 1000 psi..there are so many superstitions on these alfas what to use/not use..can you find any stie that states, that "YOU MUST USE" spica hard lines?

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
I'd have to say that every spica car I've ever bought has never had all the clamps and braces on the hp lines. Granted they are a pita to get back on right especially with the engine in the car after a head gasket but necessary. Not that yours were not but most don't bother with it.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
The length of the line is pretty much irrelevant in this application. You will be jumping through your azzhole trying to replace an inexpensive and commonly available piece!

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
and very old parts.. would you fly in a plane with old recycled parts?metal parts do have a lifespan, these hard lind are under a great deal of pressure, plusating pressure. so after time you will develope leaks due to work harding..but then agian i could be dead wrong..

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I don't think so...if you try you could have one nice engine fire:eek:

Someone here should have a used one , I gave away my last set
This first post is correct !!

I'd have to say that every spica car I've ever bought has never had all the clamps and braces on the hp lines. Granted they are a pita to get back on right especially with the engine in the car after a head gasket but necessary. Not that yours were not but most don't bother with it.
They(AR) put those clamps and braces on for a reason...DUH !
Usually not put back by the lazy or incompetent

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
I'd fly in a B-52 or a Dakota that was certified, heck, maybe even a C-47 if I had to:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Having had one of those lines rupture on my 74, probably from a PO not having put back the supports, however without resulting fire, but not without having to wait for another from Wes before driving again because I so hate the smell of gasoline, your comment makes for an interesting coincidence with the news floating the Internet around about the Southwest 737, also having run through many high pressure cycles, blowing its top today. Stuff that goes wrong is dangerous, indeed, but doesn't always kill (thankfully!!!). Fairly easy to fix though, since the right parts are still available. Thanks again to Wes.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The Peak PSI is closer to the 1000 in the steel lines but the line flex some with each pulse. and the amount that they flex/puff is worked in to the A/F map(3D cam)
And that is with the 1/4 inch steel line with a pin hole in them. When you use the flex line the peak PSI is a lot lower as the line puffs a whole lot more. but then there is a lot less fuel injected. for the same settings. and it is not linear. At large load it will not be near as bad as it is at small loads.
on small load most of the fuel will be used up in the puffing line. but at hi load the same amount of loss in puffing in the start of the squirt. But after the hose it tight (puffed out) the rest of the squirt will be the full amount.

So it should be rich on hi load and lean on low loads. And if the hose also oscillates then other strange stuff will happen. AKA unpredictable.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts