Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Ingram's website - "Our HP (high performance) Spica Pumps feature a 4th dimension fuel curve in the pump “Logic” section that improves the air/fuel ratio at high rpm."

Does someone know what the 4th dimension is that Ingram mentions? I've heard that they modify the 3d cam on the HP pumps . Is that the 4th dimension that is mentioned or...? I guess the "4th dimension" term is what I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around. I suppose there is also some internal geometry in the pump that could be modified slightly to affect the rack arm travel and the amount of fuel delivered.

·
Premium Member
14,226 Posts
I always thought that time was the 4th dimension, at least in physics.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too. That is why I asked. Is "4th dimension" just a marketing term he is using? Maybe it is. My understanding was that a modified 3D cam was fit to the HP pump...along with the other typical mods that they provide on a pump rebuild.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
This isn't physics. The dimensions here are not length, width, depth and time. Dimensions as used here are just measurements. A modern FI system takes into account way more than four "dimensions": throttle angle, gear, A/F ratio, barometric pressure, RPM, MAP reading, ambient temperature, engine temperature, manifold vacuum/pressure (for turbocharging), etc. etc.

I thought SPICA already took in 4 "dimensions": throttle position, RPM, engine temp. and barometric pressure? I'm not sure what the Ingram HP pump adds.

·
Premium Member
14,226 Posts
"dimensions": throttle angle, gear, A/F ratio, barometric pressure, RPM, MAP reading, ambient temperature, engine temperature, manifold vacuum/pressure (for turbocharging), etc. etc.
I would call those parameters or variables.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Sure, the thesaurus list several synonyms.

I'm sure they'd be happy to discuss it with you if you gave them a call. I'm sure someone will come along here that knows though.

As far as just being a marketing term.....maybe....but these things pretty much market themselves. Building a high-performance Spica motor? You pretty much need an Ingram HP pump. Just not a lot of competition in this space.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,493 Posts
Or the other spaces for that matter...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts