Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Every once in a while in my reading I'll come across the letters "Ing" before the name of an engineer, a famous executive, or someone respected in the auto world. Pardon my ignorance, but what does "Ing" stand for?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
per Wikipedia:

* Ing. is the abbreviation for an engineer's degree (ingenieur) in European countries like the Czech Republic, Germany, the Netherlands, Slovakia, Italy and Spain.

* ing. (with a lowercase 'i') is the official abbreviation for a member of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ) in Québec. Only members of the Order can qualify themselves as engineers following Québec's Engineers Act. The abbreviation usually follows the name of the engineer on official documents. Junior members can use the abbrevation 'ing. jr.'. In English, the abbreviations are 'eng.' and 'jr. eng.' (see Professional Engineer).

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Just like "Dr." is used for "doctor" and placed in front of an individual's name (when appropriate, of course), in many countries around the world (not just Europe) the abbreviation "Ing." (Ingeniero) is used for "engineer". It is also customary to always address such a person as "Engineer so and so", and it may be considered inappropriate to not do so.

Best regards,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts