Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I thought I give this question a go here in the Giulietta section:

Does anyone have by any chance a Lodge 2 HLN/G to show or for sale?
This was the number that Alfa mentioned in the Giulietta catalog for, I guess, what was the 2HLN. (see picture)
The ' /G ' I couldn't find anywhere on spark plugs or in spark plug catalogs, I even don't know if the 'G' was ever market on the spark plug itself.
A very wild guess from me is that the 'G' stood for 'Giulietta' and thus called so only by Alfa in their catalog?

Thank you for any help or corrections.

Rgds

Thierry

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi mechtild,

Thanks but no, I only wonder whether Lodges with the number 2 HLN/G, as mentioned that way in the Giulietta catalogs, were ever produced with that specific reference on the porceline. Untill now, I never saw that reference .
The 2HLN can be found but I never saw the extra ' /G ' on the spark plugs.
Maybe someone else has them or has seen them ?
If so thanks for any information.

Rgds,
Thierry

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
For a point of reference, the 2HLN is for sustained high-speed driving as it is a cold plug. The HL is for street driving.
There is the Lodge plug that has a pink insulator, and there is the Golden Lodge with 4 electrodes and they come in both 2HL and HL.
There is also the Golden Lodge HLE with is for electronic ignition and has a silver insulator is I recall.
Correct me if I am wrong. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
If my memory is correct @velocedoc is correct as well.
I must say, I was never a fan of these spark plugs. They were expensive compared to the other recommended (as listed in the Owner's and Service Manuals) Champion spark plugs. Also, I experienced, on several occasions the center electrode falling out. On two of these occasions the electrode got caught between the valve and the seat and caused the piston to bend the valve.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
andylarry, I have seen the center electrodes gone on all kinds of plugs. The Lodge plugs were designed to go only 24,000 miles before replacement. If the mixture was leaned out too much, the internal temperatures burned hotter and burnt away the center tip. We have all kinds of choices now when back then when the cars were made there were few. The factory choice to go with the Lodge was one of a better burn IMHO with the multi-electrode. I have a nice stash here but missing the silver/gray Lodge for the electronic ignition. I should take a photo of the two plugs side by side with the same heat range. :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all,

I thought I ask it again, has anyone ever seen the Lodge spark plug with Lodge 2 HLN/G on the porcelain as described in the Giulietta catalog?

Thanks for having a look,

Thierry

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
I will put this out for information. We know that there are parts in the books that never were made. In one particular instance I can say for sure that the 1600 Giulia never had sun visors even though it is in the book with a part number. I have that from the source in Italy when I was there in 1977.
There are two Lodge plugs...purple single and Golden 4 electrodes.
My guess is that this is a Golden Lodge 2 HLN. The G referring to Golden or 4 electrodes. Later the spark plugs came in a different box that says Golden Lodge. I have a set of both here in my parts.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Christopher,

If you are correct there would exist golden coloured 2HLN spark plugs.
Have a look at a former thread :
Lodge 2HLN Spark Plug
where I posted pictures of the Lodge 2HLN. That spark plug at least is not golden coloured.

Btw, the 2HLN had only one electrode and was superceded by the 4 electroded 2HL that had a golden coloured metal body, hence the name of Golden Lodge.
Both 2HLN an 2HL had purple porcelain, the 2HL could also have white porcelain.

Dear Christopher, you could be correct that this is a kind of catalog failure and that there was never a 2HLN/G except in the Giulietta catalog, maybe we don't understand the meaning of the '/G' in the catalog ?
Thank you for your ideas but to be sure of all this, I think the query for finding a Lodge 2 HLN/G in real life still remains.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
If you look at the models shown in what was posted. the normal cars got a single electrode RL47. The higher performance cars got the other plug which could have been colder and multi-electrode. I am just taking a stab in the dark.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi Christopher,

Lodge 2HLN Spark Plug
where I posted pictures of the Lodge 2HLN. That spark plug at least is not golden coloured.

Btw, the 2HLN had only one electrode and was superceded by the 4 electroded 2HL that had a golden coloured metal body, hence the name of Golden Lodge.

Dear Christopher, you could be correct that this is a kind of catalog failure and that there was never a 2HLN/G except in the Giulietta catalog, maybe we don't understand the meaning of the '/G' in the catalog ?
Thank you for your ideas but to be sure of all this, I think the query for finding a Lodge 2 HLN/G in real life still remains.

View attachment 1614627

Rgds,

Thierry
Hi Christopher,

Lodge 2HLN Spark Plug

View attachment 1614627

Rgds,

Thierry
Hi all,

I thought I ask it again, has anyone ever seen the Lodge spark plug with Lodge 2 HLN/G on the porcelain as described in the Giulietta catalog?

Thanks for having a look,

Thierry
Thierry,
In many years of searching both online and at flea markets, I have never come across either a plug or a box with the /G marking.
None of the Lodge period literature indicates the existence of a G suffix either
I also notice that the Alfa parts books and Technical Specs are not consistent; the same part number is used for plugs that are variously described as 2HLN and 2HLN/G.
Joe

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Joe,

Thank you, I'm glad to hear this.
We share exactly the same opinion but how to prove this ? Therefore I posted this final request to everyone for finding the 2HLN/G designation on a real Lodge spark plug or in a Lodge catalog.
Rgds,
Thierry

·
Registered
84 Posts
According to the Giulietta owner's manual N.772, dated 10/1961, on page 81 under spark plugs, the Lodge RL 47 was only recommended for the SS and the SZ, and for any other highly tuned race engines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts