Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm look for any pics or information on the Leon Greff Alfa V8 GTV that was drag raced in Nth America in the early seventies.
It was a joint enterprise by Delta Racing Enterprises of Metairie, La and Alfa Milano, Italy.
The team spokesman and manager was Dennis. J. Cipnic.
It ran a competition version of the Autodelta Monteal V8 engine and then a Tipo 33 'Tasman' 2.5 lt V8 during the course of its competition life.
It features in the March 1972 edition of the Alfa owner magazine.
The car is a steel bodied GTV with GTAj style fibreglass fender flares, fibreglass doors and aluminium trunk lid, bonnet, front nose and rear panel, all probably GTA and Autodelta parts.
It runs a Ford 9" rear and custom built front end with extensive aluminium fabricated interior sheeting.
I have recently purchased the car complete, less Montreal motor and transmission, and am working on what to do with it. It has been dry stored all these years but needs a full resto. I have the Tipo 33 motor from the car, currently being rebuilt.
It is a unique piece of Alfa history, possibly the only factory backed Alfa drag car built and definitely worth preserving and restoring.
Leon Greff passed away in the mid 70's but his son still runs the family business, Greff Motors, in Metairie.
The car is in the US.
Post any info you have or PM me with any expressions of interest.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
This seems to be an interesting project, but I fail to see the connection to any involvement by the factory. The Alfa Owner article talks only about one company, which is "Delta Racing Enterprises of Metairie, La. and Milano, Italy" (incorporated in 2 jusrisdictions), not "Delta Racing Enterprises of Metairie, La." and "Alfa Romeo, Milano, Italy." The reference to Chiti seems weak as well. Did you check with the factory and did they confirm their involvement?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think you should exchange info with vsharp. I seem to recall that he had a similar car in his possession with all the draws and details included.
Tasos

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, I'd be surprised if Delta Racing Enterprises had an office in Italy.
Given that it is in the Alfa Owner I read it as Milano, Italy, a euphemism for Alfa Romeo, Milano, Italy, ie back at head office. But... I stand to be corrected.
I would imagine Alfa's support in the project was at arms length, supplying engines, spares and information. Greff Motors at the time was an Alfa dealer.
I'm not sure Alfa would have sanctioned the use of 9" or indeed the drum brake front end.
The car has no chassis # so I can't do a Archivo Storico check.
I'm rather hoping someone from Alfa US may remember something. After all, there couldn't have been too many Tipo 33 motors floating around, especially in drag cars.
My understanding is that the 33 motor was at first supplied to Horst Kweck for use in a Formula 3000 car and then donated to Greff for the drag car. Indeed the cyl heads were painted 'Auscar red' when I took possesion of the motor.
I have spoken to Vin Sharp at length about the 33 motor and drag car and he has made no mention of another. Indeed, Vin has the 33 motor for rebuild now.
How does one go about checking with the factory anyway?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I meant another 105 previously fitted with a V8. I went back to the "Montreal V8 in a 105" thread and I saw that vsharp mentioned he had, at least at the time, the Foley GTAm which was fitted in the past with a V8 and it was restored back to CTAm specs. He also adressed this info to you.
Anyway, the v8 transplant in a bertone coupe is a dream of many members of this forum, my self included, so I 'll monitor this thread close.
Tasos

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got this info off the BB. It's from

OldAlfaGuy

V8 Alfa Dragster
Leon Greff of Metaire, Louisiana (a suberb of New Orleans) built a GTV-based dragster with much support from Alfa Romeo, USA. He had an import repair shop and was briefly an Alfa Romeo franchised dealer. As an import drag car fan, he talked Alfa into helping him build a dragster.

First, he tried a Montreal "marine spec" engine that Alfa Romeo USA loaned him. But he said it would not "pull a greased string out of a cat's _ _s." So they took the Montreal motor back and sent him a 2.5 liter Tasman V8 motor that they had laying around. They had it back after loaning it to Horst Kwech who tried to compete with it in the old Formula 5000 series (that series called for 5 liter stock block, or 3 liter race engine design. Horst was not competitive. I forget what formula car chassis he put the Tasman motor in. I heard that he had fuel delivery problems that he never really solved.) But it had Lucas slide throttle injection, dual Bosch ignition, gear driven cams, etc. Neat motor.

Anyway, Leon used a step nose GTV chassis, but since he had to run in one of the Gas classes, he took advantage of the liberal rules for the class and butchered the car to try to make it competitive. Solid front axle, Ford 9 inch rear, Borg Warner Super T-10S four speed, seriously gutted. He finally got it to run in the high 10's in the quarter mile. But the class record was way into the nines.

Back about 1979, after he had given up on the project, I heard about the car, and on a trip to New Orleans, I stopped by to see it and talk to Leon. He wanted $3,500 as I recall. That is when I got all of the above information - direct from Leon. When I was there, Leon said the motor would not start, so I passed on it. Leon went on to (or back to) drag racing Porsches. He said you could tweak a turbo Porsche to get it into the low nines in the 1/4 mile with no sweat. He said trying to get the Montreal motor, and then the Tasman motor, to run right was tough.

I never forgot about the Alfa dragster. Then 5-6 years later, I called Leon to see if he still had the car. He said he had sold the Tasman motor, and that a friend had put a small block Chevy in the car. I bought it over the phone - less the Chevy motor (and I honestly don't remember how much - I think it was the same $3,500 figure). I went and got the car and had visions of restoring it with a Montreal motor. In fact, I bought a freshly-rebuilt Montreal V8 from a guy who was going to make a can-am type car with it but chickened out; and I got a Montreal ZF gearbox from Matt who now owns Re-Originals, Inc. My plan was to have a chassis/suspension guy install the engine and gearbox, and take out the solid front axle and fabricate an independant double wishbone setup.

The car, Montreal motor and gearbox sat at the chassis guy's shop for months. I got impatient, listed it in the Alfa Owner magazine, and sold it to John Murphy, who lived in Atlanta and had a great collection of Alfa's. Several GTA's and tons of GTA parts, a couple of Montreals, etc.

John Murphy passed away before doing anything with the drag car and drive train. It was in his estate, which was liquidated. Leon Greff also passed away about that same time.

Oh, and about that Tasman motor ithat was in the car when I first went to look at it - later I heard that a guy in San Francisco bought it and when he opened it up, it was junk inside. A rod had let go, damaging the crank, block, heads, etc.

But it would have made one dynamite street rod, even with only the Montreal motor. On the other hand, I sold it to John Murphy for what I had in it - car, engine and gearbox. I am probably lucky in that regard. It could have ended up being one of the biggest Alfa money pits of all time!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Alfa Drag Car

Hi
I would think that Don Black, or Jim Webber would have some personal knowledge of the build history. They were "there" so to speak. I don't know if either are on the BB.
As an aside, what Type 33 engine do you have for the car? I have a few spares left over from my 2.0 Type 33 Stradale. A set of cams, in particular.
Let me know if you think they might be useful to you.
Keith Goring
Alfas Unlimited

·
Richard Jemison
7,188 Posts
Drag car

The car, Montreal motor and gearbox sat at the chassis guy's shop for months. I got impatient, listed it in the Alfa Owner magazine, and sold it to John Murphy, who lived in Atlanta and had a great collection of Alfa's. Several GTA's and tons of GTA parts, a couple of Montreals, etc.
Foy said that if you had left it, it might nearly be finished now.......:p

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gee, maybe I should ship it back to Foy.
Won't take long from Australia, where the car now resides.
Thinking about dropping a 3.0 24v motor in it.
What do you guys think?
Keith, the motor I have is a 2.5 litre 'Tasman' 2 valve twin plug motor.
I do have a 2.0 crank, made from solid titanium which is a sight in itself.
The 2.5 crank is not serviceable so another is being made up.
The motor is mostly complete including cams but always interested in spares.
Be interesting to compare grinds.
What I am missing is the water pump cover casting and the 2 engine mount castings.
One engine mount incorporates oil filter housing and the other the alternator mount.
I do have the oil filter housing one but the mounting part has been cut off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Now 6c1750ss, I don't suppose the significant car once owned by Mrs Jones is now yours? Sorry Tim for the thread diversion

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I Wish!!
I spoke to Lex Davidson daughter Kath at Phillip Island earlier this year. Lex used to own the car and it is still around. In fact I think it was at PI as well.
That means I can tell my drag racing V8 mates that an Alfa won the 1st race in OZ. Excellent.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I reckon you should drop in a 24v engine in the meantime and get the car ready for the strip. I think a well prepared 24v and a 700kg chassis should do an easy 10 second 1/4 :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts