Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, but I'm really interested in the engine from the GTA-SA. It's a bizarre combination of an twin cam engine that was ahead of its time, and a supercharger system that was cobbled together from existing parts. I'm looking for any info on the engine that's out there, be it diagrams of the engine and superchargers, and what parts were used to make the supercharger system and how it was hooked up. Thanks a lot!

·
Super Moderator
11,242 Posts
I've only seen one, run once. It required a VERY talented driver. The blower blew through the Webers and was hydraulically driven using sump oil, and there was the problem. Boost varied with oil pressure. Try driving with an engine where power varies with oil pressure as you downshift into a corner! In Europe there was a VERY talented lady race driver, can't remember who, that could make her GTA SA MUCH faster than anything else out there. Somewhere I've a photo of her coming out of a turn with rear tire smoke under acceleration.
If one could find the special front cover for the extra pump and hydraulics, I don't think I would consider building one. I've a NA GTA engine that is actually easy to use, and has plenty of power.
They were interesting though...

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've only seen one, run once. It required a VERY talented driver. The blower blew through the Webers and was hydraulically driven using sump oil, and there was the problem. Boost varied with oil pressure. Try driving with an engine where power varies with oil pressure as you downshift into a corner! In Europe there was a VERY talented lady race driver, can't remember who, that could make her GTA SA MUCH faster than anything else out there. Somewhere I've a photo of her coming out of a turn with rear tire smoke under acceleration.
If one could find the special front cover for the extra pump and hydraulics, I don't think I would consider building one. I've a NA GTA engine that is actually easy to use, and has plenty of power.
They were interesting though...
Was the Lady racedriver Christine Becker?

·
Super Moderator
11,242 Posts
Yes. It was Christine.

·
Registered
642 Posts
GTA-SA

Its Christine Beckers .....she drove for Auto Delta in Belgium hillclimbs , she won 1968 course de cote d Houyet with GTA-SA engine ..... i spoke with her in Spa , when she introduced her book: LA COURSE OU LA VIE ....

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Some pictures

New here, but I'm really interested in the engine from the GTA-SA. It's a bizarre combination of an twin cam engine that was ahead of its time, and a supercharger system that was cobbled together from existing parts. I'm looking for any info on the engine that's out there, be it diagrams of the engine and superchargers, and what parts were used to make the supercharger system and how it was hooked up. Thanks a lot!
Hello members,

Some pictures.

Ciao, Olaf

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts