Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
More information about the car's history and restoration (downloadable 4.3 MB PDF file here and HTML version here) became available today on the RX Autoworks web site.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Great dossier on the car. Interesting to see the original design had a white roof section and higher headlights.
Thank you. If the pictures with the white roof would have been found earlier, the car might have been painted that way. I have a hunch that the lights were lowered to improve road visibility, but I have not yet been sitting in the driver's seat to test this notion. :D:D:D

The car is expected to return to Vancouver at the end of this month. Since Villa d'Este, several people have come forward indicating they may have additional information that ties into the early history of the car. We're waiting to get copies for further analysis and scrutiny.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thank you. If the pictures with the white roof would have been found earlier, the car might have been painted that way. I have a hunch that the lights were lowered to improve road visibility, but I have not yet been sitting in the driver's seat to test this notion. :D:D:D

The car is expected to return to Vancouver at the end of this month. Since Villa d'Este, several people have come forward indicating they may have additional information that ties into the early history of the car. We're waiting to get copies for further analysis and scrutiny.
Fantastic. The Early Bentley at the top of this page was built in a very similar design/scheme. Wonder if the Paris-Alfa was an influence.

2009 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Gallery - 'Class F4-Derby Bentleys' - Supercars.net

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Fantastic. The Early Bentley at the top of this page was built in a very similar design/scheme. Wonder if the Paris-Alfa was an influence.

2009 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Gallery - 'Class F4-Derby Bentleys' - Supercars.net
There could have been a number of influences. There is information that indicates Figoni built three cars in 1932 and 1933 that share some elements of style, such as the spike on the hood and the curve on the door.

Probably the earliest car with respect to when it received a Figoni body, is the Alfa shown in the picture "carlo" posted in post #44 above (also shown below for convenience). Simon Moore found information that indicates it might be the 1932 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 GS with chassis number 10814379 that was sold either on 08-Mar-1932 or 03-Aug-1932, depending on how one interprets the date on the photo he has (a photo I don't feel entitled to share here). There is no doubt tat this car was also bodied by Figoni and that it participated in Concours d'Élégance at the time (achieving at least one class win).

The second car is the 1932 Bugatti T55 convertible with chassis number 55221 which participated in the 1932 Le Mans race, then was rebodied by Figoni in 1933, and, driven by Jacques Dupuy, won the 1933 Critérium de Tourisme Paris-Nice. It is unclear at this point in time whether the body of David's Alfa or the Bugatti was built first, or if they were rebodied at the same time -- but I think finding an answer to that question is not very important at this point in time. (More pictures of this Bugatti, including one that shows it at the 1932 Le Mans race, can be found on this web page.)

Then, there is also a 1929 Bugatti Type 43, chassis 43272, that shows some similarities, but I was unable to find out in what year this elegant car was bodied by Figoni.

Two more cars worth mentioning in this context are: Ettore Bugatti's personal Type 41 Royale, chassis 41100, which was first built in 1927 and rebodied several times during the 1930s, and became known as the "Coupé du Patron" and later as the "Coupé Napoléon." There are rumors that Bugatti crashed the car in the 1930s and built a new car using the same chassis number (this article claims the original car still exists -- period pictures indicate it did not have the curve on the side at the time). This blue/black car, which is in the ex-Schlumpf museum in France, shows a less pronounced spike on the hood but a similar the curve on the door that may stem from the 1930s. Although it did not dig very deep into the complicated history of this car, there doesn't seem to be an apparent connection to Figoni.

A second Bugatti Type 41, chassis 41111, reportedly was rebodied in 1937 by Henri Binder and hence became known as the "Coupé de ville Binder." It shows the curve on the side, but it's history clearly indicates this car was not bodied by Figoni.

Then, there were two more Bugattis, both Type 57, that show variations of the curve on the side, but these cars were built after 1933 and I couldn't find any connection to Figoni:

So, to me it's not quite clear who inspired whom, or if the two-tone scheme and the curve was typical for Figoni or Bugatti or just the fashion of the time. One way or the other, there seem too many exceptions to construe a rule that could be applied consistently. But, what can be said with a fair degree of certainty is that two Figoni-bodied Alfa 6C 1750 GS coupes and one Figoni-bodied Bugatti T55 convertible existed in 1933 that showed the two-tone spike on the hood and a curve on the side.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts