Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
This is a quick update that is long overdue:

The car is coming along great and probably will be seen both at Villa d'Este and in Pebble Beach this year. RX Autoworks (check out some of their restorations here) found some original cream colored paint on the body and so the car was painted in the original two-tone cream-and-black. They even found the original paint pattern of the instrument panel under a badge that was riveted on and restored that panel also to its original appearance (or at least with the same "broken black over grey" effect that can be seen in original sales brochures).

Attachments

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Today, for the first time since the restoration started, the car stood on its wheels and moved under its own power again.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow! Sure would love to see you and this Alfa at the ARCC/AROC international convention in Toronto. It would make a great photo session next to the TZ3.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
In the sense that one car seems to have had the soul restored out of it to such an extent that it might as well be an Argentine copy, and that the other was never a true Alfa to begin with?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
In the sense that one car seems to have had the soul restored out of it to such an extent that it might as well be an Argentine copy ...
Could not disagree more.

Its a mechanical object and therefore maintenance and restorations of items are required. Man made it once and thus we can make it again.

Now I hope the restored car is driven with as much enjoyment as it was originally :). That will quickly ensure patina returns.
Pete

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
It is being prepared for Pebble Beach.

The owner had a 2900 B coupe and drove it in competitive events such as the Monte Sheldon North West Classic Rally.

:cool:

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
It is being prepared for Pebble Beach.

The owner had a 2900 B coupe and drove it in competitive events such as the Monte Sheldon North West Classic Rally.

:cool:
Car is in good hands then :).

Pete

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
When I visited RX Autoworks today, the joke of the day was "Welcome to Argentina!" During the last few days, we had some good conversations about the dilemma any restorer faces: "How far to go" and "When is it over the top." Often, there is a no-win situation in the sense that pieces have to be touched and some originality gets lost in the process. Take, for example, the writings on the door skin shown in this post above. What's more important to save and protect, the skin or the writings? One way or the other, some originality gets lost -- and frankly, I'm happy to report that everybody at RX Autoworks, as well as the owner, seem to be extremely sensitive to such matters.

Case in point: The little apron at the front, which seems to be unique to this car, had blue paint on it that RX believes to be paint left over from the Le Mans race. Rather than removing this paint (which is different from the blue paint shown at the beginning of this thread), they left two small strips of original paint on either side (at first glance, they look like strips of electrical tape that were forgotten to be taken off), that will be covered by chrome pieces later on, so that future owners and enthusiasts will have a connection back to the original race paint. I believe they also found some original black and cream colors which helped a great deal with the color selection. In my opinion, what they seem to do, and choose to do, are sensible restorations that are in line with the skills and technology of a specific period and true to certain cars rather than "restoring the soul out of it" -- but I admit my judgment may be severely biased.

Let me add a side note on the owner's attitude, from a conversation I overheard a couple of days ago when RX and the owner discussed the noise the compressor made when the engine was cold: The owner simply commented "Let's see how this sounds after a 1,000 kilometers!" I didn't get the impression anyone involved in the conversation expected to have to wait very long for the car to go through that distance. This spirit I admire. "Welcome to Argentina!"

Attachments

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I was curious if you had any new progress pictures to share on this fabulous restoration?
The restoration was completed about a month ago and the car will make its first public appearance at Villa d'Este this weekend (25/27-May-2012). I didn't post any more pictures because I didn't want to steal the element of surprise from the owner, the restorers and the audience at the event.

·
Registered
170 Posts
"Welcome to Argentina!"
????????

The joke might be funny between friends but I don't see the point of it here.
It seems now that in the UK cars are only restored and kept, or in Italy no fakes had ever been crushed by justice.
France never produced any dubbious Bugatti, or in the US no GTC was ever turned into a GS.
It is just because a factory had built 180+ replica/fake Bugs in Paraná?

And please, do not forget that the argentinean "replicas" often become "fakes" when a smart European/American puts a missing number on it.

We just have to track them...

I love cars, the good ones, the used ones... those are the beautiful ones.
And this one is just gorgeous.
Let's keep the topic within its own limits, please.
Thanks for sharing!
C.-

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Would love to meet you there!

·