Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ben (former spider owner) in a 535is, John with a S14 240sx, Louis (Potenziato) in his 24V Milano, and myself in a shi# box all went to Infinion yesterday.

It was probably the most fun I've had at Infinion so far. A bunch of chill guys, a track that wasn't too crowded, and expected rain that never came all added up to a great time.

It was my first time in group 4, which means the entire track is open passing, and it was my first time entering several turns 2 or 3 wide and trying to figure out who goes where, how to block passes, and more. Really exciting, if not a bit dangerous!

Unfortunately, my efforts and in car camera was a failure. The angle that I was trying to video record at was terrible, and I think the data flow was greater than what the memory card could write at, and the sound is very distorted.

My Milano was one of the slower cars out there with 225/45/16 ES100 tires (gripped OK, didn't wear much, and didnd't ge greasy actually), but by the end of the day I was faster than a stock S2000, about 1.5 seconds per lap slower than a 911 SC with suspension work done to it, about .2 seconds than a 944 turbo which looked stock, like .2 seconds faster than a very well driven stock dodge neon with Toyo RA1 tires (he actually passed me at one point! Very humbling!). There were many race cars that flew by me, and I wansn't even close to keeping up with a single M3 (recall the Milano vs E36 m3 thread from years back). I had a great time though.

Anyways some pics:

Actually pics are too big. Hold on a bit.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1 of the pictures is in my car following Louis on the freeway with Jon in tow.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These three are from Louis...which are already posted in the ARA section.

The other cool thing about this weekend was that I was able to drop by the professional photography trailer and check out some pictures of my car at speed. I really got to see the difference in camber between before and after dropped spindles and another 1.3 degrees of negative cabmer (up from about 1 static).

The difference was huge! On track, I noticed less, but still noticeable understeer with the modifications below. Still not nrealy as composed as Louis' car on coilovers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Hey Grant, anymore problems with your car since lenard figured out what was causing it not to run? Nice pics, next time I will try to show up and take some pictures of you guys in action!

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I could edit my title, I spelled Infineon wrong again!!

Hi Jon,

Ever since I put that coil wire back in, no more problems. Thanks again so much for stopping and helping my stranded self, I seriously owe you guys!!

You should bring out your Pug instead of just watching. HPDE is not a race, it's a chance for people to come out and explore the limits of their cars. I really hope you can join us out on the track! All you need is a $100 used helmet and gasonline!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Sounds good! The Pug would definately be more fun on the track then the164, as its pretty predicatable, understeer, more understeer, guard rail, cruch..!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Check out the cool Spoon Integra closing the gap on Grant.

We had serious fun on Sunday! At least try it once.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apparently that car was pretty quick, or I was pretty slow, but most likely both:

[22:56] StupidButHey: that RSX gained like 3 car lengths in one turn
[22:57] BKCowGod: um... that rsx lapped you in one lap
[22:57] StupidButHey: did it really?
[22:57] BKCowGod: yup
:D

I was catching up to most cars in the fast esses though, I think that's where these
Alfas shine. The low speed turns...I dunno..

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I really think it's a much better platform for racing !!!

I saw a 944 turbo (951) in the parking lot the other day, and with the stock fenders the guy was running 255 width tires on stock boxster or 986 style rims.

I don't know about you, but I worked to get just a 225 to fit on my car. Couple that with that car's lower center of gravity, better aerodynamics, better brakes...it's a much better track car right out of the box.

That 944, I HOPE it was a turbo, but even if it wasn't, I was really pushing my car just to keep up behind it, and it doesn't look to severely modified. On another note, a gutted black 944 turbo that still had street registration blew by me going atleast 25 mph faster than I was around a high speed sweeper. It had race tires, more power, and less weight, but I really can't ever imagine my Milano developing that much grip.

We're crasy for trying to race these car! My import buddies tell me this every day. A stock S14 on coilovers is a much more competent racecar!

I'm no expert race driver, but I'm pretty confident I can extract a good portion of the performance potential out of my car. I really do blame my car, and not so much myself, but you know how it is...everyone seems to thin they're a better driver than they are XD

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I really think it's a much better platform for racing !!!

We're crasy for trying to race these car! My import buddies tell me this every day. A stock S14 on coilovers is a much more competent racecar!

I'm no expert race driver, but I'm pretty confident I can extract a good portion of the performance potential out of my car. I really do blame my car, and not so much myself, but you know how it is...everyone seems to thin they're a better driver than they are XD
The problem here is that you're comparing what is essentially a 32 year-old chassis design with a car that was introduced in 1993. Although I know it wasn't a new platform it was largely improved upon over the s13.

A more appropriate comparison would be to compare the Nissan Skylines of the 1980s. And although I have no real experience, I can guarantee the 75 would stand up very very well to even the turbo versions of these cars.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am Dying to know what school or group that you guys were driving with! Do you have a link? could I bring my super? I have a friend with an alfetta gtv that is champing at the bit to get it on the track, as it is pretty radical suspension-wise for a street car. Would love to come out if you could stand two slobs from the central valley:D

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What the @#$(

Man, I would be HONORED if you would bring a 105 series to come out and race with us. It truly was a great deal of fun, and I would love to chase a 105 around.

We went with NASA's popular HPDE program. It was only $159, after a $40 year long membership, which comes with Grassroots Motorsports, which I would gladly pay $20 for a year's subscription - maybe $22. Just kidding, it's a great mag.

I actually announced it in the ARA section, but I could only get Louis to come.

Alfettish, I don't think it has as much to do with the age as it does the wheel base and tall, narrow, nature of the car. When it comes down to racing, I think things like CG, weight distribution, overall weight, track and many more come in to play more than just the suspension design.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes, the wheelbase is too long, the track too narrow and the CG too high or the RC too low...
Overall weight isn't too bad, and with some work on the bonnet, bumper, battery, AC etc... weight distribution will be close to dead-on.
Although they aren't the most ideal cars to race, I'm trying to say they have more going for them than say a skyline of the same era or earlier. And alot of other cars for that matter.
They are very predictable, easy to control and have loads of character and history. I feel very proud driving Alfa Romeos, even if some *** car is more competent.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some pics from a couple events ago and from today. Same location, same group.

I'm really not sure where to put these, so here it goes:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The nice looking Verde is another BB'ers car. I had a blast riding in his car, despite the look on my face. The last two were what my car looked like 1 year ago before dropped spindles or sway bars. Roll was even worse, if you can believe it.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts