Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I´m not really good at audio, but is there a way to have an indoors antenna for my gt junior?
My dad previously filled the antenna hole and since then there´s been no radio.

It would be cool starting up the original blaupunkt again without drilling a hole in the body :)

Tia
Jan

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
If I got it right there is a hole to support an electric antenna , not a hidden one? If yes, fitting a new normal electronic antenna will be the best, from receiving side of view. This antennas are not electronics they just using power to lift their mast up. Really electronic antennas ( like this on ebay) usually have built in RF amplifier to boost receiving. But here is the problem: except only some very good samples (try only well known brands mainly German) ALL of them while providing amplification also giving good noise to your radio's front end. Keep in mind that although alfa didnt offered any radio or antennas, it is very period correct to have any good electric antenna on the rear left wing. The best will be also to have a correct period radio on the dash. For example, period Blaus have all the proper plugs to support electronic antennas and of course this very usufull din connector (for any modern audio source).

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I just put a cheap shorty antenna and layed it down on the parcel shelf. I was going to mount it upright on the parcel shelf to the side, but haven`t gotten around to it. It works just as well laying down, so I never finished it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I did the following, on my Giulia Sprint GT, ~20 yrs. ago:

Got a generic windshield/cellophane-tape/wire antenna kit from either Radio Shack or an Auto Parts store, mainly to use the radio antenna jack cable. Truthfully, I wonder if these are even available anymore(?).

I cut a length of thin stainless steel wire to the length of a std. auto antenna and bent it into a smooth, gradual curve. I ran the generic cable from the radio to the pass. side of the dash cover, trimmed the generic wire down to a short piece and wrapped it (minus the cellophane tape) around an end of the SS wire and used small dia. heat-shrink tubing to make the connection tight. I then used blue masking tape to position the SS wire in place so it made contact with the windshield gasket, just a millimeter away from the glass, at exactly one point, and applied a Hershey-Kiss shaped micro-speck of black RTV - just enough to surround the wire - with a flat-ended toothpick, on that point of the gskt. Let that dry for a few hours, then re-taped and repeated - for a total of about 8(?) spots - making my way along the gskt. from the lower corner at the pass. side of the windshield to about halfway past the rear view mirror toward the upper corner of the driver's side of the windshield. It came out as well as I could have hoped.

When someone asks where the antenna is, I ask them to try and find it. Nobody has, yet. Operationally, I would say it is nearly, but not quite as good, as an external antenna, but, as you also pointed out, I preferred to not make a new hole in the body's exterior. Plus, the installation is completely non-destructive and could be removed easily and/or redone if necessary.

I can post pics if you want. But then.. I'd be obligated to show the 80's, push-button, all-black Blaupunkt Frankfurt in the dash and endure endless abuse from all the vintage audio purists ;).

Just for them, I also replaced the vinyl rear deck covering with acoustically transparent carpet-like fabric. I was told by the fairly reputable upholsterer from whom I sourced it, that it was OEM material for some Corvette application of the time. I recall it was not very expensive. Anyway, I installed 6x9 Jensen tri-axial spkrs. in cutouts in the rear deck, then, topside, covered the holes with wire mesh (epoxied into place) and finally, the "Corvette" carpet. I never particularly liked the black vinyl back there anyway (too shiny, somehow), so the non-original direction suited me just fine.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts