Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,

I´ve taken off my steering boss in waiting for a nardi boss from alfaholics :D

But when I use the indicator lights it doesn´t return. I know it´s an old car but the spring is there, but as you can see it´s broke :p

I just can´t figure out were it goes. I know were to fit the end of the spring, but does it just go round the steering column?

Tia
Jan

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Hi Jan,

yes, it just goes once around the column.Same direction as it is now. That's it!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I just can´t figure out where it goes... does it just go round the steering column?
Jan
Yep, pretty simple... The spring's friction on the column causes the switch to "return" to center as the steering column rotates opposite of the original signal direction.

BTW, IIRC, the spring wraps around the column shaft once...

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
yes, it just goes once around the column.Same direction as it is now. That's it!
Well, to be precise, I wouldn't say that it goes around "once" - it goes around about 1-1/2 times.

You may be able to form a new loop on the disconnected part of that old spring and see if it works. The whole mechanism is a bit tempremental - too much spring tension and just turning the wheel will engage the turn signals. Too little tension, and they won't cancel.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,703 Posts
wrap once and a half and reattach by bending the end of spring into a U or better yet a Q. This fix sometimes makes the spring to short and although it works sometimes there is so much tension from shortening your turn signals will come on when you turn the steering wheel. Although this can be fixed by using some thin stainless saftey wire to add a link, it's a trial and error process. I think Max sells new springs, I've seen them somewhere. That's the direction I'd go. The springs are not expensive. I must have been writing at the same time as the above post:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks guys!
They made stuff real simple bitd :D

Ok, now I just waiting for the boss to put on my nardi wheel :cool:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Replace spring without removing s/wheel?

My spring decided to join in with the electrics, turned red hot, and expired.
Is is possible to replace it without removing the steering wheel i.e. is it an easy job or should I live without it?
(Car is a '74 GTV).

·
Registered
465 Posts
Removing the wheel is a five minute job with a puller. Just don't lose the key! - speaking from experience. :oops:

Cheers,
Wazza.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,236 Posts
And be sure to lube the spring with a little light oil. If you install it dry there can be too much friction: the spring won't slide well and will deform like the broken end of the one in the top pic. AMHIK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts