Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear all

An unusual issue has arosen with my 1990 V6 164 [RHD], whenever the brake pedal is pushed the left-side [from inside the car] inidcator stops blinking. It is not related to turning the steering as it happens when driving straight ahead with the indicator working perfectly, then as soon as the brake pedal is lightly touched the indicator stops working???? The right-side indicator is fine.....

UPDATE: fixed it :) checked all fuses, relays no issues there. The board that holds the bulbs in the rear tail-light assemebly must have been faulty as a replacement board from my spares car fixed it, the bulbs weren't blown though and the board did not have any visible faults..so who knows. I had the same problem with a 155 I owned last year.

So thank goodness for the spares car. So far the red 164 has 'donated' fuel lines, wing mirrors, fuses, switches, wheels, rear curtains and will soon be giving up its headlining, rear window motors and foglights :)

Aaron

·
Premium Member
27,279 Posts
Just shows to go ya, you can never or never can have to many spare parts can you?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I think this would have been an earthing problem for the bulb cluster - perhaps the plug that connects to the bulbholder just needed to be unplugged and plugged, which might explain why there were no apparent faults? Anyway, good to hear you've fixed it.

-Alex

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are correct Alex as it happened again and after jiggling the wires that go into the plug it cured it. What was happening was that when the indicator bulb was flashing the brake bulb was very lightly flashing in sequence, not quite enough to see in daylight through the exterior assembly but visible when exposed. I have resecured the wires into the plug and secured the wires within the interior cover a little more so hopefully it will hold or I will fit a replacement plug I guess from the spares car.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I think this is one of those times that calls for a fine wire brush and spraycan of electrical contact cleaner... Also, make sure the terminals in the plug are a nice tight fit on the pins. I'm sure you can fix this one ;)

Sorry I haven't been in the Auckland area in a while...

-Alex

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep have done, hopefully it holds, it is usually the type of thing that strikes me the week before the WOF is due :)

Has the buyer of the burgundy 164 been in touch? Is he enjoying the car?

I am in the process of getting the 33 ready for sale as an opportunity to get back into a TwinSpark 75 has come up so the little boxer has to go.

Regards, Aaron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts