Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am looking for some serious upgrades in power output coming from my Spider. What would be some options to do this? (Links would be appreciated) Also is it possible to fit a small turbo in it?

Cheers,

- Sporting

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
A major limitation is fuel since L-Jet is pretty much fixed regarding the fuel volume it can supply. Suggest a search for details. This has been discussed many times.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you want serious power upgrades, consider a new 4C. There are limits built into the 2.0 liter, to say nothing of the 50+ year old chassis design.

You can start with a valve job, that will add some CR. New performance cams help, along with pre '71 Tri Y headers. If you need to go in and replace the head gasket, consider 10:1 pistons.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Personally, my opinion is go big or don't bother. You might get another 10-15% more power after spending a bunch of money on cams, head work, headers, and maybe an aftermarket ECU. But in terms of HP/$ the return just isn't that great.

Making power NA really means rebuilding the whole engine for it. Even then, I wouldn't expect more than 180hp or so. Twinsparks are pretty straight forward swaps and can make 230 in built form.

Forced induction will be a custom job. There's been much talk, but a complete kit hasn't been available for decades. You might be able to find an old Jaffco turbo manifold and downpipe, but I would chuck the turbo in favor of something more modern and plumb for an intercooler. 200hp is possible on the stock motor (may need meth injection to be safe). Built turbo Nords have made 400+. Anything more than that and you are probably looking at an engine swap- but at that point putting the power down would be a bigger problem than making it.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Install a Honda S2000 motor/trans?
Anything is doable with enough time and money, but fitting the trans and keeping the interior may be a problem. Our spiders have the shifter in an unusual place, which means most transmissions place the shifter too far back. I don't see a compelling reason to put an S2000 motor in an Alfa- if you want that experience, you could just buy an S2000 for the same price with a more modern chassis and suspension setup. If what you want is more power, plenty can be obtained with an Alfa setup.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I think he means replace the WHOLE car with a Honda !

That is the easiest way to big power !!

·
Premium Member
15,016 Posts
Steve Piantieri raced a series 3 Spider at Sebring a few weeks ago and he was competitive with some of the other Alfas. His car has Weber carburetors.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Spider is a very fast car as it is, relatively speaking (I have been working on a MG Midget all weekend). The Alfa has about the same power to weight ratio that the same year model base corvettes had in the 80's.

But seriously, there are a few things you can do to squeeze a bit more power out of it. Mostly engine work. Start with replacing the dual-silencer exhaust with a more free-flowing exhaust. Put in a high-flow cat while you're at it. This will make the engine not only a little more peppy, but it will also run better in general. The exhausts on these cars a pretty restrictive.
The next thing you are looking at will probably be a megasquirt injection kit, then a CD ignition system, 11mm cams, motronic pistons, big valves, ported heads, and an electric radiator fan.
Then one of the best upgrades to make the car respond well to being pushed once you take the power to a new level, you'll need lightweight gears a lightweight flywheel.

All this, like mentioned above, will probably squeeze around 180-190 hp out of this engine. Which is a lot, considering you are around the same weight as the modern Fiat 500 Abarth, a properly quick street car, and you have a 20 hp advantage.

·
Premium Member
15,016 Posts
All this, like mentioned above, will probably squeeze around 180-190 hp out of this engine.
That is a stretch. I only know of one naturally aspirated 2L Spider road car that has made 190 on a dyno and it cost a lot of money.
150 is easy. Mine made 169 with full race cams, a race prepared head and Webers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Since "sporting" has not chimed back pertaining to the answers to his question I will assume that his desire to spend a fair amount of money to build a high performance motor has waned.

Uneducated individuals diving into the land of high performance vintage Italian sports cars are faced with a serious reality check. From what I've read about here and in other racing circles a strong performance Alfa 2.0 motor can cost $10k++ and then in racing it goes into another much higher plateau.

I've dabbled for years with multiple high performance racing Ducati motorcycle engines, and for a strong performer $10-14k is the starting point in "parts" to build a track motor, race motors much much more, why should a vintage Alfa 2.0 motor be any different.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Uneducated individuals diving into the land of high performance vintage Italian sports cars are faced with a serious reality check. From what I've read about here and in other racing circles a strong performance Alfa 2.0 motor can cost $10k++ and then in racing it goes into another much higher plateau.
It can cost that much, although I would suggest that someone willing to go forced induction and with some fabrication skills could equal the power (and greatly exceed the torque) of a $10k NA race motor for half the cost. Of course, forced induction doesn't really work well from a race classification standpoint.

·
Premium Member
15,016 Posts
I gave a lot of detail in my thread including costs which were a lot less than $10k

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/304825-79-spider-dyno.html

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Ed, is your Alfa back on the road yet from your 'incident'? I recall the flywheel bolts had sheared after backing out, while you were doing pulls after a carb re-jet or some such...was wondering if rest of engine was OK after that...

·
Premium Member
15,016 Posts
Ed, is your Alfa back on the road yet from your 'incident'? I recall the flywheel bolts had sheared after backing out, while you were doing pulls after a carb re-jet or some such...was wondering if rest of engine was OK after that...
I think the car needs to see an exorcist!

I got it back together and it vibrated badly, jumped out of 3rd gear and the clutch was acting up. RJ found a loose bolt on a shift fork and I found a worn release bearing and fork. Got the gearbox back in on Friday. It still jumps out of gear and the 123 distributor has crapped out. I mailed it to the USA rep today. And the hood release cable broke this morning. I did swap out the axle for a 4.1 with new bearings and seals and I overhauled the rear brakes but it is off the road at least until I install a working distributor.

My GTV6 is running great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts