Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without ripping my engine apart and spending thousands of dollars I would like to know if there are any improvements in Horsepower that can be made for a reasonable cost. . My research shows that exhaust headers, cams, port and polish are super expensive and you get very little game. The Squadra chip seems to be a simple solution. But needs 93 octane fuel. It also gets mixed reviews. My S4 only has 50,000 miles on it. It seems to be struggling in the higher RPMs. In years past I had a 69 and a 72. They revved freely to the red line and wanted more. . Thanks for any recommendations.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,085 Posts
Squadra chip works, but as you said really requires 93. I don't think the reviews are mixed: it's an easy way to add some power. Other than that the S4 Nord is in a pretty high state of tune already: there's no real "bolt on" power options.

One piece of advice: make sure your VVT is functioning properly. Mine went out at one point due to a bad solenoid and the car lost quite a bit of pep at the high end.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much, I had the valves adjusted 2000 miles ago at 51,000 miles. They thoroughly checked out the engine. Is checking the VVT something they would have analyzed at that time?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,085 Posts
Probably not. It's fairly easy to do: the VVT solenoid is the cylindrical thing on the front right of the cam cover. There is an observation hole on the right side of the aluminum mount for it. Make sure the two wires to the solenoid haven't fallen off. Then with the car running, rev the engine by pulling up on the throttle linkage while looking through the observation hole. You should see the pin move in and out as you rev.

If that's good it's probably fine, though there is a slight possibility that the pin is moving but the VVT oil line is clogged.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info, much appreciated. Regarding the squadra, what octane booster and how much do you add?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,085 Posts
Most octane boosters don't work at all. And the ones that do work (they have this compound in them called MMT) are hella bad for your engine. Don't use them.

If you can't get high octane pump gas where you are I'd recommend against the Squadra. Most of the way it works is via a more aggressive timing map, and that increases engine octane requirements.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That will do the trick

Verstuurd vanaf mijn AGS2-W09 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure I understand. Are you saying the hundred octane is going to be okay with a squadron chip and not harm the engine?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,085 Posts
Hmmm, ok that nails it. No 93 here, only Aviation/racing fuel 100 octane.
Racing/Avgas is leaded. It's illegal for road use, but beyond that it'll kill your cat converter and isn't great for your engine.

Check your VVT. The S4 engine is the last (and best, IMO) development of the Nord 2L: you've got high lift cams, good 4-2 exhaust manifolds, a very good fuel injection system, no real emissions equipment besides the cat, & high compression pistons right out of the box. If it's not performing like an Alfa something is very likely wrong.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Hmmm, ok that nails it. No 93 here, only Aviation/racing fuel 100 octane.
Wait, back up a minute. Where do you live? Here in the Mile High City 91 is equivalent to - perhaps better - than 93 at sea level due to the lower oxygen density. Squadra chips work just fine here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really that's cool! I'm in Boise, elevation 3000. Maybe not low enough elevation to increase octane. What do you think?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry for confusion, but aviation fuel (jp4) will not work in the S4, it is more like diesel. Here in NLD ron91 is sufficient for an S4 with the Squadra chip according to Stephan of Squadra, the producer of the chip. It also depends on the quality of the fuel, which here in Europe is pretty much okay.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn AGS2-W09 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Racing/Avgas is leaded. It's illegal for road use, but beyond that it'll kill your cat converter and isn't great for your engine.
Not all race gas is leaded. My local station sells Sunoco 100 octane unleaded race gas. I think Sunoco calls it something like "250 GT". I don't think it's leaded until you get up into the big octane numbers (110+).

Really that's cool! I'm in Boise, elevation 3000. Maybe not low enough elevation to increase octane. What do you think?
As far as 3000ft....I don't really know. The fact that 93 is unavailable and 91 is the highest implies that the state at least thinks it's good enough....not sure how much that's worth though. But at least here in Colorado it's been like that for a LONG time - since before knock sensors were common in cars - and cars requiring higher octane fuels have done fine.

Isn't 91 in Europe like 94 in the U.S ?
Yeah, it is - they use a different scale.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I guess I can try to Squadra and see what happens. May I ask where did you the chip?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,085 Posts
If you've got reasonable automotive and/or electronic skills it's not very hard to do yourself.

That said, before you invest in the chip, do some troubleshooting on your car. Your description of performance doesn't sound right, and I'd worry you're trying to apply a band-aid to some other problem.

·
Registered
651 Posts
your main hold back in making power in the upper rpm's is the fuel injection system itself... the air meter box, just like " L " jet, the flap( air door ) maxes out at about 4500 rpm, at that point the door id fulling open, and all its doing is flowing fuel at a set rate. not accounting for more air passing thru the engine at higher rpms. the o2 sensor is trying to help, but the motronic system has limitations

·
Registered
651 Posts
this is why when I had my oem engine in my spider I installed a 'LH ' system in the car..lh is digtal,,also lh has air mass meter , motronic had a air flow meter, less effective., I did notic a bump in performance when I installed the lh system, and on a dino air fuel mixture was great up to 6500 rpm. mo leaning out. I did my homework on this when I did the change over

1 - 20 of 63 Posts