Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dear folks ,

I would like to get your opinions and/or ideas and /or help refer to following problem , which I am facing .
all of a sudden the speedometer of my Montreal is running slow eg.
speedo shows 50km/h. but in reality car is running 70km/h or speedo
shows 140km/h and in reality I am driving roughly 170 km/h base on an external GPS measure.

I know the perky little devil never sleeps at Montreals but
does anybody have an idea how to fix this problem ?

thanks for any help in advance

cheers from Bavaria
Bernhard

·
Registered
145 Posts
First of all check the speedometer Cable. Mayby there is rust inside or they are cracked.

After that you have to remove the speedometer and look that there is no dust in the mechanic. Also possible the one of the shaft is moving hard.

At mine the speedometer Cable was cracked a little bit and scrached in the sheathing.

In my clock it was dust. I´m cleaning the watch and and it runns perfectly.

regards from cold Dinkelsbuehl

Kai

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Kai for quick reply. I will focus now on speedo cabel and shaft as I have put out the speedometer
only some month ago for removing all the lamps and for cleaning .

Unfortunately I am not able to recognize some unusual noices , so its hard to locate the specific problem.,

thanks anyway

Bernhard

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Hi Bernhard,
If the problem is not found in the cable (has lubrication, no rust or resistance when disconnected from speedometer and transmission) or ends (not too tight, just snug or hand tight) then you may have to send the speedometer out for calibration. I have never done this but have heard of Speedometer Repair Palo Alto Speedometer: Repair, Restoration, and Sales of Automobile Gauges
Was the gauge accurate before you removed it for lamps and cleaning?

I will focus now on speedo cabel and shaft as I have put out the speedometer only some month ago for removing all the lamps and for cleaning .
Mark

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi Mark ,

yes gauge was running accurate before cleaning action.

and thanks to all others for possible solutions , which I will try now ...one after the
other

cheers from Munich
Bernhard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts