Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick, easy question:

I'm replacing my '86 Grad's booster pump tomorrow...are there any tips or tricks that I'll need to know, that maybe aren't mentioned in the shop manual? Or is this a super-simple, "can do it blindfolded" kind of operation? I'm not replacing the sending unit, as it's working fine. Thanks all!

David

·
Premium Member
9,975 Posts
Be sure to closely inspect the short hose between the pump and the sending unit flange outlet pipe. They deteriorate and can leak causing a loss of feed to the main supply pump.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Be careful when removing the entire unit that the float doesn't come off the arm and fall into the tank!!!

UUhhhhmmmmmmmmmm...yeah, I heard about some guy that did that once, yeah that's it, a friend of a friend, couldn't have been me....... nah. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the parts from IAP.

And 'fetta.....thanks for the advice from "your friend"! I'll be careful!

David

·
Registered
36 Posts
davidteachey said:
A quick, easy question:

I'm replacing my '86 Grad's booster pump tomorrow...are there any tips or tricks that I'll need to know, ...
This probably goes without saying, but ... since you're working with an open gas tank:
- Disconnect the battery.
- Do the work outdoors
- have a fire extinguisher handy
etc. etc. etc.

I did mine in two months ago and it was pretty easy. The only unexpected hitch was that when removing the existing one, the filter-sock dropped off into the tank, and I had to fish it out. I think one of the other replies had a similar experience.

Good luck,
tt.

·
Registered
598 Posts
turicchi said:
This probably goes without saying, but ... since you're working with an open gas tank:
- Disconnect the battery.
- Do the work outdoors
- have a fire extinguisher handy
etc. etc. etc.

I did mine in two months ago and it was pretty easy. The only unexpected hitch was that when removing the existing one, the filter-sock dropped off into the tank, and I had to fish it out. I think one of the other replies had a similar experience.

Good luck,
tt.
Also, make a note of what wires go where.

Dave

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks TT and Dave...I'll keep your advice in mind when having a go at this project this morning.

David

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Mission accomplished. The car is running fine, but the "proof" will be if I can go more than a week without blowing a fuel pump fuse!

I very carefully removed the old pump/sender assembly in order to avoid dislodging the sender float and the old sock filter. No problem with the float, but there WASN'T a sock filter on the old pump! I fished around for a good 45 mins with my flexible spring-loaded grabber, but came up with nothing. I also used a flashlight & telescoping mirror, but also found nothing. That was the only "hitch" in this entire job. I wonder if 1) the P.O. had neglected to use a sock filter, or if 2) the filter is in a deep recess of the tank, and isn't reachable. One wonders.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts