Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a new fuel pump in a 1990 alfa spider. The manual indicates that after removing the 6 bolts you just slide out the entire fuel pump/sending unit assembly - but it won't fit through the hole as a unit. There is a clamp around the metal fuel tube that holds 2 pieces of a metal frame. I am worried if I loosen it something will fall into the tank. Is there something I'm missing here? What's the best way to proceed?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Actually it does come out....with some effort. :mad:
You can drop the float or the screen back into the tank, try not to do that!!

It's a bit of a pain. I've done it on my 86 a half dozen times and I think the stupid in-tank pump is gone again...seems to be a yearly replacement part! Not very happy 'bout that........

Here is a picture I stole off another thread, this is what it should look like!

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes the entire unit comes out. It's a minor pain but one can do it with a bit of the 'old' twisting and turning "gingerly". You would hate to drop that bottom half including the pump and T-filter into the tank.
You might be able to get it out far enough to unclip the float (not letting it go), remove the rest of the assembly and then bring out the float.

Just make sure before reinstall you check and clean the rubber fitting that connects the sender to the pump, and the float arm swings port-to-starboard (L-R) so you don't keep getting the low fuel light when you stop and go. Also that entire assembly should fit snugly into the bottom of the tank and be careful of the "T" filter on the bottom of the pump as you put it into the tank.

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey I just wanted to get back to you. I was able to get the pump out. somehow that frame holding the pump to the metal tube were bent out of shape (squashed) so that the unit wouldn't fit through the hole. I just loosened the hose clamp and squeezed the frame to a smaller diameter. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts