Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the gas tank, and in tank fuel pump on my 91 Spider...Does anyone know where I can get the hose that sits between the pump and I think the sending unit on the pump...I tried IAP an Centerline and neither have the hose...also what type clamp is recommeded on this hose...

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
I just changed mine 5 minutes ago. It's a tappered line, no clamps. I used the 1 that was there. It need not to fit that snug since it'll only leak back into the tank it there is a slight leak.

·
Administrator
17,382 Posts
The original is a 'stepped' hose - two different diameters. No clamps were used - just a snug fit. I believe they were made out of unobtainium. If you find a new one be sure you are sitting down when you hear the price...

I suspect it could be replaced by a short hose sized to fit the larger part and another short hose sized to fit the smaller part shoved inside the larger hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK and thanks...I wil try this, however, in one post I noticed not to worried about it being such a tight fit, yet someone else told me to be sure that it is a tight fit...which is correct....

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
+3 on the way it fits.

It does need to be a snug fit onnaconna any leak that lets fuel spit back into the tank can also sump air into the lines once the fuel level drops below 1/2~1/3 a tank.
This in turn make for starvation and some really interesting 'what could it be' scenarios.

·
Registered
what part?
9,995 Posts
i remeber some on here, putting a small hose into a larger hose to make the 'steped' hose

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Current IAP Catalog lists p/n #17018 as the stepped hose for the in-tank pump for 82-94 Spiders. Price is $39.50. Granted, a whole lot for a little rubber, thought it may help.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You'd think people would be trying to scav more out of other people's breaker cars in the parts subsection than they do.
Granted it might be an older one with a loose fit, but if it's supple enough to take a clamp its gotta be better than a cracked one by lightyears.

I mean wouldn't you buy one that was, say, a known 2~3 years old out of a car that was being scrapped anyway?
Especially if there was a backorder at all the suppliers with a 'who frikkin knows' expected return date?

But no~one ever seems to enquire about that bit of hose in a used state :shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Did not realize they were on b/o....and agree 110% with Darren on the need for a proper scavenger list for breaker cars.......

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have a NOS Alfa hose in my box of golden oldies. Actually unobainable now. $40.00 includes shipping to 48 states. Contact [email protected]

·
Registered
what part?
9,995 Posts
easy fix// take you fuel pump/float assb. to you local kragens,pep boys, etc...... find the overall lenght of steped hose.., write this down, diameter of the metal tube, write this down diameter of the pusher pump outlet, write this down, because the pusher pump outlet is bigger in daimeter, get a lenght of fuel hose the lenght of the 1 st. measurment.. step 2,, get a same lenght hose that will fit the metal tube,, stuff this hose into the bigger hose, it will be a tight fit, no need for a clamp.. trim both hoses to fit the lenght that you need. instale on pusher pump- metal tube.. you are done...

·
Registered
521 Posts
As I said earlier, 9.5 mm hose works fine. Slips on the larger tube with a push, a small hose clamp keeps it tight on the smaller tube. A cheap fix.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Now, to be serious for a moment, the in tank pump is only needed to get the gas up to approximately a little past the half full level in the tank. It is not a powerful pump at all. The main pump pushes well, but does not, pardon the expression, suck well and can not get fuel out of the bottom half of the tank to adequately supply the main pump. A nonfunctioning in tank pump often causes symptoms similar to running out of gas once you get below half a tank. This can be quite severe at one quarter or one eighth of a tank. Either the one hose stuffed into a larger hose or one "tight" hose method will work.
Do pay attention to the orientation of the float, or the shaky fuel gage will be even more entertaining. This is also a good time to adjust the float level if your low fuel light is not accurate.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My mechanic suggested finding a suitable sized rifle shell casing to make a step down hose adapter when confronted with these situations.

·
Registered
429 Posts
There are a bunch of solutions, but it's important to note, you have to use "Submersible" fuel hose. Otherwise the outside coating on ordinary fuel line will turn to jelly in short time. Personally I cut the sender tube, welded on a smaller section of tube and replaced the pump with a bigger one, then eliminated the other pump altogether.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts