Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
is this wire replaceable or do i need a new float assembly?
in replacing my fuel tank, I was inspecting my in tank filter which I found floating in the tank. When I fished it out, it was torn, but very clean.

I then noticed the break on this thin film wire looking thing.

Thoughts? Options?

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, maybe good time to work on my soldering. More tools!!

I'll try to document the procedure if it is successful
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Clean it well. Electronic solder vs plumbing solder. Bridge the break with a piece of wire. Solder is not structural. First you want a good mechanical and electrical connection, then solder.

Heat the work, let the work melt the solder and it will wick into the connection towards the heat. Let it cool without disturbing it. When done the surface should be shiny. If rough and dull it is a "cold solder joint".

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
86spider-
Excellent tip - this wire is copper, right? Should I replace this entire length of wire? My thinking is that this entire length of wire may be brittle and break again

Just out of curiosity is this wire for the low fuel light or for the fuel gauge? I see 2 wires going to the float

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
I doubt solder would hold up. If there is enough vibration to fatigue the original part, a soldered joint will fail too.

How about drilling or punching a small hole in each piece, and joining them with a screw or pop rivet? Or if they aren't long enough to overlap, using a short piece of brass to bridge the gap, and two screws/rivets. If you are worried about resistance due to oxidation, solder after screwing/riveting them together.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at it closely today, i found the lower fuel pump wire is also broken. although that one simple needs a new crimped wire nut clamp, I am thinking it may be better to replace the assembly entirely.

But I want to see if I can repair the 2 wires first. I'll set time aside this weekend and share my results. Money saved by repairing will go into the new top pile.
Thank you Alfisti!!! These are great suggestions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts