Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a GTV that you're looking to part with, I've been searching for one for a few years now. Ideally, looking for one local that I can come to take a look. I'm in Denver. If you have one for sale ping me.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Project or running? There's a 71 project car that was posted a few weeks ago in the FS section.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@6alfas running project. post the link for the 71 gtv been looking may have missed it.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@6alfas thanks. He’s not far from my workshop in Westminster. Bummer it’s a salvage title, otherwise it would be on a trailer :).

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
@6alfas thanks. He’s not far from my workshop in Westminster. Bummer it’s a salvage title, otherwise it would be on a trailer :).
It would have been at my house a few weeks ago except for the title. You could get it running and apply for a bonded title but as a non-runner the only option is salvage.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@6alfas as you may know Co doesn't make it easy to get a bonded title. Multiple inspections, everything must be functional (lights, etc.), and you must drive your vehicle with a temp tag to the state police :). I believe the CO state police will also re-issue the vehicle a new VIN so you no longer have the Alfa vin. As for salvage, reading through the Co Statues CRS 42-4-201-234, et al. The process will call for a rebuilt title before you can get a salvage title. You'll need to bring, "ALL receipts for the parts used to make the vehicle roadworthy".

So unless there is a lot of sentimental value, assume that you're purchasing it for parts.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
@6alfas as you may know Co doesn't make it easy to get a bonded title. Multiple inspections, everything must be functional (lights, etc.), and you must drive your vehicle with a temp tag to the state police :). I believe the CO state police will also re-issue the vehicle a new VIN so you no longer have the Alfa vin. As for salvage, reading through the Co Statues CRS 42-4-201-234, et al. The process will call for a rebuilt title before you can get a salvage title. You'll need to bring, "ALL receipts for the parts used to make the vehicle roadworthy".

So unless there is a lot of sentimental value, assume that you're purchasing it for parts.
Right, I spent hours looking through and reading the various documents pertaining to bonded and salvage titles in CO. It seems as if it would be easier to take it to a different state (Alabama) and get a title and then bring the car back to CO than to jump through the hoops here.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think many folks care about salvage titles on a classic car. If you can fully document the condition of the car when you buy it and, document why the car has a salvage title, no one will care.

Get more info on the car before you decide it's not for you.
Just seems like a lot of work to get a salvage title, to me. I'd rather spend time building, fixing, driving, and enjoying it versus time spent at the state troopers and the DVM just to try and get a certified vin inspection done. That's just me and I'd lose interest in it.

So looking for a running project that has a clean title. :)

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,297 Posts
I bought my roundtail in Colorado and drove it to Texas where I had it titled. I drove it for a year, then took it apart. I moved to Colorado and stored the car for a number of years. Eventually, I got the car restored and back on the road. The car was without license plates for 20+ years. When it came time to have the VIN verified, I drove over to the Broomfield PD and the guy sitting at the front desk did the verification. The paint is so think on both places where the VIN is located, I was sweating it out. He looked at it for a few seconds and said, yeah, I'll verify it!

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought my roundtail in Colorado and drove it to Texas where I had it titled. I drove it for a year, then took it apart. I moved to Colorado and stored the car for a number of years. Eventually, I got the car restored and back on the road. The car was without license plates for 20+ years. When it came time to have the VIN verified, I drove over to the Broomfield PD and the guy sitting at the front desk did the verification. The paint is so think on both places where the VIN is located, I was sweating it out. He looked at it for a few seconds and said, yeah, I'll verify it!
@ossodiseppia The difference is vin verification (done by local police or Air Care EPA facility) versus certified vin verification (done by CO state trooper). When you have a title from another state whether in your name or any other name you go through a standard vin verification as you described. I had this done on one of my Lotus's years ago. When you don't have a title just a bill of sale and you can't prove that the signator on the bill of sale is valid, you need to go through the certified process. Believe me, it's a heck of a process for anyone that has gone through it. Lots of towing, lots of DMV visits to get $7 temp tags, etc. For me, it's not worth it. To someone else, it may be.

Also what you noted is without license plates. That's just a registration process. You can title a car and not register it. When you do and if it's over, I think 4-5 months without registration the max the DMV charges you is $100- penalty. So, 20 years later you probably just paid $100- penalty + gave them your texas title and easy peasy got your new title. I'm not sure this is what the case is here. There is no title, just a piece of property that needs to be titled. PITA process.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Salvage Titles: You must have all paperwork and receipts for repairs completed. A "rebuilt from salvage" dye cast stamp must be placed inside the driver’s side door post near the latch. The vehicle must be road worthy. All lights must be working, tires need to have adequate tread, the windshield cannot have any cracks, and if the vehicle is equipped with airbags, they must work.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Just seems like a lot of work to get a salvage title, to me. I'd rather spend time building, fixing, driving, and enjoying it versus time spent at the state troopers and the DVM just to try and get a certified vin inspection done. That's just me and I'd lose interest in it.

So looking for a running project that has a clean title. :)
I don't think many folks care about salvage titles on a classic car. If you can fully document the condition of the car when you buy it and, document why the car has a salvage title, no one will care.

Get more info on the car before you decide it's not for you.
Hard to say what the impact of a salvage title is. This GTV sold for a "bargain" price and a lot of the chatter was surrounding the salvage title. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-alfa-romeo-gtv-2000-7/ Either way it's a bonded salvage title (non-runner), or bonded title (if it is roadworthy) for 3-5 years at a minimum.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hard to say what the impact of a salvage title is. This GTV sold for a "bargain" price and a lot of the chatter was surrounding the salvage title. 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 Either way it's a bonded salvage title (non-runner), or bonded title (if it is roadworthy) for 3-5 years at a minimum.
Agreed. 20k in refreshing + the cost of car yields 14k is telling. Here's the Co doc that explains the process. Step 2 of 9 requires a Certified VIN Inspection a/k/a running driving car before you even get a Salvage Title, bonded or not, at Step 9. Co only issues a Rebuild Title for non-runners.

Now if I were to turn it into an SCCA D Modified race car then who needs a title or if it was a family heirloom then the sentimental value outweighs whatever the title says. I prefer a clean title GTV, again that's just me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts