Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the Alfa bb. I have a 72 GTV and I just put in a pair of Weber DCOMs. Before buying them, I tried to read up on them and there was very little information on bulletin boards or books that I could find. As I recall, I bought the pair for about $280.

As far as I can tell, the DCOM is virtually identical to the DCOE except that it uses a diaphragm accelerator pump (which works great !) and it has more progression holes and they the holes are smaller than in the DCOE.

I really liked the Spica fuel injection but my pump had 100,000 miles on it and I was feeling a little skeptical about having it rebuilt. I would love to know if others have had good results from a rebuild !

The installation of the DCOMs went very well. I could not be happier with the results. I am not positive, but I think they might use slightly leaner jetting thant the DCOE. Before, when the car was good and hot, it was missing at high rpm because it was running too rich. I know the Spica system pretty well but I was not able to fix the problem. Whereas it was relatively easy to dial in the mixture on the Webers.

Anyway, this is my first post here !

Wayne T

Attachments

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Dcom

I'm thinking about the DCOM's as well. Where did you get them from? Any issues develop while installing them? Any advice? I have a couple of Alfa's in the "working" on stage, any input would be helpfull.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
“alfa1750" on ebay

Hi,

I got them from Gabriele David “alfa1750" on ebay. He did a very good initial set up. I guess that there are always some issues installing a new fuel delivery system. I was able to use the spica pedal assembly but I had to put together a lever to connect it to the carbs. I am sure that there must be a couple of ways of making the linkage. The jetting seems pretty straightforward and I was able to get jets from Mr. David in Italy in about one week. They were also inexpensive. As far as other issues, I was suprised to see how much the mixture changed according to the air filters and also the air horns !

Wayne T.

·
Premium Member
13,511 Posts
The gas pedal from a Bosch spider works with the standard carburetor linkage. They are easy to find.
Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
88 Verde

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Rich,

thanks for the good report ! Although I really like my new set up, I also like the Spica system very much. I have only had my GTV for about 7 years and in that time the fuel system has become progressively more untunable until most recently when it would do nothing but cough and sputter when running on a hot day a high rpms. I have several ways of checking the mixture and I could tell that the problem was fuel and not spark.

The car has never run so well in the time that I have owned it than it does now with the Weber DCOMs. And they were very easy to tune.

In spite of all this, I am still quite interested in getting the pump rebuilt. I was reluctant not only because of the expense but also because of the fact that they are remanufactured with used parts, specifically used pistons. It sure would be nice if someone would make a batch of oversized pistons for all of these old Spica pumps !

Thanks again for your input! I will probably have Wes or those guys at Foreign Auto Menders send me a reconditioned pump sometime this year. One other nice thing about my Spica system was that I had a supercharger rigged up to it. It worked just great with it or at least as well as it could with 100k miles of wear !

Wayne T.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts