Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a 2000 Touring spider and I'm having problems locating a transporter, the fact of the matter is that the tires currently on it are deteriorating, shredding into pieces and no transporter wants the load.
I'm open to nicer set of tires since eventually I'd have to address the tire problem, but at this point anything that will hold air will do.
Thank you in advance for any and all assistance locating these tires.

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
You may want to indicate where the tires are needed, as shipping costs will be significant.

Also, you'll probably want complete used wheels rather than just tires as mounting the inner tubes an tires will add cost.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Ford may be simpler

Logistics: the transporter is to bring the car to you?
Perhaps the seller can locate four 15 inch Ford wheels with tires (Ford, correct, you who are more experienced?).
If the tires mix, so what, they would do just fine to transport.

Richard
Colorado

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Richard's idea is a good one: If I recall correctly, some early '60s Fords (Falcon, Fury, etc.) had 16-inch wheels with 5 x 4-1/2 bolt patterns with zero or minimal offset. The wheels would have to be 16" to clear the brake drums and/or brake calipers.

A while ago, there was a 2600 Sprint for sale in Oregon that had wheels from a ca. 1997 Ford Grand Marquis. The wheels supposedly required spacers to fit without modifications (see this post).

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
tyres

Maybe this will work

If you just want to transport 15 inch tyres will fit on the std 2600 rims.

Take rims to tyre shop. Buy 4 new inner tubes which you can use again later and while your buying the tubes pick up 4 worn out but serviceable 15inch tyres and have them fitted.

You cannot use tyres on the road at speed because the rim edges are wrong, but no problem to hold the car up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
165/400 used tires

Thanks a lot Tubut, Skinthin, Redmerlin for the helpfull suggestions.
Luckly I have 5 brand new 15" tubes and tires as well, obviously not the correct but if they manage to mount them on the 2000 touring wheels just for transport services I'll take that all day long.
Thank you all again for taking your time to share and help.
Regards,
Costas Karfitsas

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
15" tires won't fit 400 mm two liter wheels

Costas, Why didn't I think of that. Use old 16" tires which might be sloppy but you can at least get them on easily. Don't try running them at speed because they do not "center" and will give a gallop ride until they slip enough around on the rim to cut the tube stems and go flat (from experience, by the way). I also tried to have a professional mount some of the then (1975?) hot new 390 mm tires (which are sized between the 380 mm of 15" and 420 mm of 16") and he was furious at me because even he could not get them onto the two liter rims. But 16" with tubes would be easy to mount (probably even without tools) and good enough to move a car by transport. Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts