Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm sad to say that my daily driver Verse was brought home on a flatbed today, after dying in the middle of an intersection last night. Seems like a fuel problem.

So, I am looking for:

- the elusive "combo relay" that runs the fuel pump
- a 3.0 AFM (or a 2.5 if I understand correctly that they ar interchangeable

Any leads on either of these items would appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have a brand new AFM!!!!
3.0 12v

Make me an offer that says, "even though I bought this NOS to use in a future project, I will sell it to my Seattle brethren so he can keep his car on the road."
Robert

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Robert, much appreciated!
I'll send you a PM so we can exchange contact info.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I can help with a good used combi-relay, but I would recommend some exhaustive testing before spending monies for parts. Two troublesome ignition and fuel system grounding locations that are often overlooked are below the coil to the amplifier mount and under the back seat bottom on the driver's side for the fuel pump. Of course, being involved with Group 2, you probably knew that already.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
The well known test of turning on the ignition and pushing the vane of the AFM to start the fuel pump is a good one. If the pump runs then you definitely have a good combi-relay. If it does not run then you could have a bad combi- relay but you could also have a blown fuse or a bad microswitch in the AFM or (unlikely) a bad start relay or a wiring problem to the pump or a bad pump.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I bypass the combi-relay and my pump works by wiring the pump directly to the battery. I had to buy a new combi-relay from International Auto Parts for $100.00, and the car started. I had the same problem with another Milano.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. Going through all the steps, will report findings and hopefully the fix.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I purchased my 1988 Milano Verde new in December 1988 and replaced the combi-relay last year after driving 225,000 miles. I still have the original fuel pump in the car.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
I have tested several combi-relays that had been swapped out during troubleshooting and were believed to be bad but turned out to be OK. I have tested one that really was bad and it had burned contacts on one of the relays. 225K miles is quite a ride - congratulations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts