Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So noise and popping and suspected guibo failures show the front and rear donuts missing giant chunks. so a couple of questions:

1) There are different parts depending on the engine number but my car has a different engine than it came with so is there a VIN distinction I can go by instead of the engine number? And if not, just by looking underneath, the center donut looks like the cheaper version, the one which fits Alfettas also. Can I go by looks for this part? There is a distinct visual difference in the pictures of the 2 choices....

2) Are all the common suppliers guibos of decent quality? there are big differences in the prices and just wondering if that means anything.

3) I had my exhaust repaired and the dumb muffler shop welded the rear section to the center so i can't just unbolt the exhaust. Can I replace the guibos without removing exhaust and instead just letting it hang down off the mounts?

4) Anything else to know about this? I've had all of this out before as I replaced the engine so I'm not completely green but I'm sure it's going to be fun.....

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The donuts are different as far as I remember and that's a big pain in the ***. As far as the welded sections go, I can't remember if you can just drop the rear but I think you should be able to.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, got the parts and I'm in the process of getting the driveshaft out. Everything is loosened and I'm at the point where I jacked up the rear axle but all that seems to do is cause the rear donut to flex and bind. I've taken out the driveshaft before and I don't remember it being very difficult once everything is loosened.

What am I doing wrong? How much should the rear axle be lifted?

Here's a pic of the present situation so you can see how much it is binding:

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Bob

The big pry bars from harbor freight are AWESOME for driveshaft work.

Keep your eyes open when you get into that driveshaft - be careful with all the centering devices (spherical bearings). I use nice moly grease (sometimes available in small tubes at Napa) for those, but any grease will do. Especially out there in the desert :)

Do you have enough room to get fully under car and remove the whole driveshaft? You're most of the way there, it's a lot easier to work on out of the car. Not sure if you were already on that path.

I have a lot of good used stuff for the driveshafts, including Giubos. Did you get my PM?

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob

The big pry bars from harbor freight are AWESOME for driveshaft work.

Keep your eyes open when you get into that driveshaft - be careful with all the centering devices (spherical bearings). I use nice moly grease (sometimes available in small tubes at Napa) for those, but any grease will do. Especially out there in the desert :)

Do you have enough room to get fully under car and remove the whole driveshaft? You're most of the way there, it's a lot easier to work on out of the car. Not sure if you were already on that path.

I have a lot of good used stuff for the driveshafts, including Giubos. Did you get my PM?

Good luck!
Rob,

I didn't get your PM as my box is full and I need to go through it and make some room....

I finally got the shaft out. Many thanks to Santo's for the help. Those guys are really great! He told me to unbolt the center joint and go from there. So I did. And that rear joint was still fused. It took some force to get it apart but out it came. The rest was unnoteworthy. Got the new giubos in and finally got the exhaust bolted back today.

Haven't driven it yet as I decided to install a voltage regulator and good thing as my brushes in the old one were almost gone so tomorrow I should have my Milano back up and revving after about 7 months of being without! Can't wait to hear it rev again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts