Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Of course that is repairable. Whether or not it's worth it to repair that level of rust on a '78 Spider is debatable, of course.

If you had a GTA with that level of rust, I can assure you it would be well worth repairing.

bs

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Well, hypothetically let's just imagine that your wife bought you a new Mig welder and Plasma cutter for your birthday.....

You'd be all over that thing :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
Maybe it's just my midwestern upbringing, and the fact that I own a mig welder, but that looks pretty repairable to me, and given that it fairly complete, and hell it's not even that far away...

·
9,938 Posts
Probably not a California car.
Believe me, Alfas rust here too. That spider on ebay could easily be from Santa Cruz, or some other coastal area. Given the low-quality steel that was used in spiders, they rust even in "sunny California".

And while I haven't inspected that car firsthand , based on the ebay photos I'd say it's unrestorable. Oh if it were a '28 Bugatti, or '57 Testarosa, then sure. But given how common squaretail spiders are, why bother starting with a rough one?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Believe me, Alfas rust here too. That spider on ebay could easily be from Santa Cruz, or some other coastal area. Given the low-quality steel that was used in spiders, they rust even in "sunny California".

And while I haven't inspected that car firsthand , based on the ebay photos I'd say it's unrestorable. Oh if it were a '28 Bugatti, or '57 Testarosa, then sure. But given how common squaretail spiders are, why bother starting with a rough one?
True enough -- if the Alfa was parked daily at the beach (northern, central, or southern California) and went unbathed for years. But for first-rate corrosion, New England winter roads are unbeatable.

The experience (in perhaps 1978) of seeing the old Griswold Alfa Restoration Shop (Berkeley, CA) guys hand beat an entirely new aluminum bonnet for a wrecked Aston Martin DBR2, the mechanics rebuild everything else, watching it fly by at Laguna Seca, and later show up in Hemmings for something like $300,000 made clear the meaning of "time and materials." All it takes is money.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This Spider has been for sale in Indy for ~2yrs now. This is at least the third owner in that time.

IIRC the original asking price went from $800 to BO in the Craigslist ads that ran for around 4mos. I assume it went for much less and then showed back up after about 3mos. for around a thousand from a different seller, and has been on and off ever since.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Its been done

Everything is repairable if you throw enough money at it. We've all seen more than one case where the entire section below the door (inner and outer rockers and frame rails) have been replaced on both GTVs and Spiders.
like mine, all rockers, both sides and a bit of floor and rear wheel arches.
It was the only major thing wrong with it, much of the mechanicals had been rebuilt so we decided it was worth it.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts