Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Ted, Thanks for the history update. My info came from Doug and I tried to verify it with Ernie years ago, but some details were not quite clear. I visited him last summer he was doing ok. He is not racing bicycles any more. The Alfetta still has the smooshed roof.

I have attached a photo from Daytona and a couple of what it looks like now.
Hi Dave, have you documented the race history of this racer and do you hve the build date info from Alfa doc centre? If so Martin U Of this BB, may well be tracking this GT as he does with other GT racers or would want to (which includes the GTA and the GTAm). I incourage you to share with him and/or the bb.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
5 Posts
Razey's GTV

Hi, Sam Partin here. After a dozen years or more (maybe a lot more), I have finally gotten round to getting the old war horse ready to race. Its first vintage race will be COTA next month or at least thats the goal and Im registered. I'll try and show some pics of the car as it is at that venue. My goal has been to preserve the patina of the old car but get all the racing stuff in shape for real track use.

SPP

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
It is good to hear from you Sam. I am so glad the car will be back on the track - and look forward to seeing some photos of it. Are you going to run the Ford GT40 wheels? I found some more of the locating pins to send you.

DA

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Sam, assuming I can get the motor back together, I will be at COTA in the ex-Beck Spider. I look forward to seeing the results of your long-term build!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Questions

Do you know if either of Smith and Foshee are still alive? I saw that Rasey passed away several years ago. Also, any other pics you might have of the GTV would be appreciated. Lastly, Is Old ALFA guy still kicking? I would like to use his and your write-ups about the car in an info poster to be used at races.

Sam

·
Registered
338 Posts
I raced against Smith and Foshee way back in 1976 in the Daytona Finale 250. At the time I was preparing an RX-2 for Walt Bohren to drive in the IMSA RS Challenge. At the end of 1976, Mazda had a chance to win the Touring Under (2.5L) championship given a good finish by a Mazda and a poor finish by an Alfa. So Walt entered his car in the race with me as co-driver. Walt won the RS race IIRC and parked the car on pit wall. While he was dealing with reporters, I fueled the car, changed the right front tire, donned my driving suit and took our place on the rolling start. It was my only IMSA race and we did OK. I liked passing the GTU Porsches out on the banking. We finished 28th, 7 places and 9 laps ahead of Smith and Foshee, but not enough points to knock Alfa out of the championship for Touring Under.
Those were the days when one could go do serious racing out of a small shop. I never met Smith or Foshee-except for that one race, we operated in different area.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Rasey Feezell

Events of 45 years ago can be hard to recollect, especially the less than glorious ones, but here goes.
I'm not sure of the year but in the mid 70s, Rasey had entered a green GTA for the Daytona 24 Hour IMSA race. I was new to Alfa having recently bought Bob Lyons Ausca Duetto. Somehow Rasey and I agreed that I would co-drive for a reasonable fee and I flew south, full of hope.
I had never met Rasey, but a GTA, now that was a race car. I got to the track just as the first practice was starting and Rasey was suited up and ready to go. I waved hello and goodby and off he went. I went to the fence to watch; if he made a lap or two I can't remember, but eventually the GTA came in on the hook. Rasey was unperturbed, despite the fact that a true GTA twin plug was toast. Saying he figured that could happen, he proudly announced he had come prepared with not one, but two "race prepared" 1600 engines.
Rasey's pit crew consisted of two boys in their late teens who knew how to get the next engine out of the truck, but little else. I figured Rasey would want to turn the wrenches himself, but that illusion quickly dissipated as Rasey had brought a comfortable arm chair from which he began to give instructions on engine removal to the two boys. They were eager, but not able, to make enough progress for any practice that day, so I asked Racey if I could help.He thought that was splendid, and refreshed his drink. It was quite hot by then.
After a couple of hours, the GTA was running and Rasey was suited up again. I was beginning to wonder just when I was to get a look at the track (had never been there before) but then, Rasey had had only a lap or two, and it was his car.
Soon the car was back, I think on it's own power this time, but not all four. It had burned a hole in at least one piston and, he said, had run very hot, He thought the other engine would be a better bet.
I got back to work, and the boys were getting to be a help, and soon we'd done our second change of the day. But day was gone and it was time for night practice. Rasey thought he best test the new set-up, but I had been getting a bit apprehensive about my investment and foot my foot down. I suited up.
Anybody ever do their first practice in a slow car, at night, on a strange track, with a full field of NASCAR lookalikes that had already determined their lines ? Scary. In fact, it was scary just getting to the pit entrance as I hadn't had time to even figure that out. Truthfully, I got a little lost, so that when I got on the track, most cars had two laps in, and were up to speed. Also scary was the fact that the car wouldn't rev and the temp gauge was slowly going "no no land". Somehow , I avoided the projectiles whizzing past (I couldn't hear their profanity) and got back uninjured.
Racey, strangely, was very calm, and thought the water pump was bad when he had pulled the engine from another project, but figured all that air going through the radiator at 100 miles an hour would keep it cool.
We had a few words and I flew out the next morning.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just went through all the posts in this thread.
This is me getting settled in the car to start the 250 Finale race. There was some question about the driver in an earlier post. Walt Bohren, the car owner, drove the second half of the race.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I never caught up with Sam to introduce myself. But I saw him on track @COTA. He must’ve had mechanical problems, as he left early 😞. Several Alfas in attendance, including a GTAM and a TZ.

Pretty sure I blew a head gasket in the Spider heading into turn one at the start of the second lap. 97 degrees at the green flag!

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMSA Car Raced in October at COTA at SVRA Event

Well, I guess it was a short race weekend. The left front knockoff wheel tried to come off and we struggled with that for a couple of sessions and then the head gasket blew and we were done.

Would like to hear from Dave on how to get the long pins he mentioned.

SPP

·
Richard Jemison
7,094 Posts
deja vue... all over again

From memory, your experience seems identical to Dave`s at Daytons with the car. And I think it was the first race with it for him.

Some history. the car you now on didn`t have the GT 40 wheels on it when he acquired it.

I bought a couple of cars from Rasey, one a Spider roller, the other Rasey`s "daily driver, a GTJr that had all the Autodelta suspension bits and shod with the GT 40 rims. It came with some spare pieces for the wheels and the adaptors.

Dave and I had been friends (and still are!) for some time and he ask about acquiring the wheel package as it was a period fitment for your car. I sold them to him. I was building a wide body GTAm clone and was not planning on using the wheels.

As well, over a weekend I had my fabricator build 3 identical roll cages in my GTJr, your car, and a GTV from the Washington DC area.

I`ll post a pic of it in my shop if the BB accepts pics today??

Dave had the magnesium rim welded in a shop that did special material welding to repair the stripped drive pin bores.

That`s the last I heard regarding the wheel issue.

At Daytona I vaguely recollect helping him change the gasket. But I assume the failure was due to the common inadequate torque specs for these and larger Nord & TS engines. Factory spec is too little. add about 15% to that if you expect it to stay in place. "V" notching the liner tops was suggested back in the `60s (See the AROC Competition Advisory Service manual) I do it on my race engines.

If my memory is faulty Dave can correct this...

Found a pic of your car in the shop after the new roll cage was installed. The yellow cars are my GT 2 GTV6 and my Formula Atlantic.

Attachments

41 - 56 of 56 Posts